The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car just died

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

car just died

My 94 ES was idling, had the lights on, radio playing and was thoroughly warmed up (its -20 right now) when suddenly everything just stopped; engine died, lights went out, no power to anything. Put it into park and tried to start it and absolutely nothing happened; no idiot lights, no cranking, it fact it appears there is no power to anything. Would a disconnected or broken battery cable cause the car to just stop like this? Where/what should I start looking for. It too damn cold and dark to be messing around the car right now so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

My car did something similar, would die when driving, except sometimes it would crank and other times it wouldn't.
    Turned out to be bad terminals on my battery and my battery ground was bad, didn't help that my battery is old either.

I would start with checking your battery wires, make sure the ground is good and the terminals are nice and tight.
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

Got some daylight now and sure enough the positive battery cable had popped off. Going to clean the terminals and tighten everything up a bit later today when it warms up (high suppose to be -5 or so) I should be good to go.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Awesome glad it was something simple lol
    Update if it happens again!

Jesus Christ! High is supposed to be -5?!
    Our high here is supposed to be 46 with a low of 26 and everyone is shitting bricks and all bundled like in A Christmas Story it's funny as hell lol
    I personally love it and wish it would get colder, but south Texas is south Texas

Deadeye,
    Take care of those 94's especially your GS. 94 was the only year 7G's had the hood bump. The GS is a fairly rare variant of the Galant. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping the GS stock. I don't think our 7G's will ever have any collector value but they are greot cars. My 94ES with 270K has crossed over to being a beater. I use it as my winter daily driver due to the clear coat finally starting to peel and check, a big crack in the dash and the fact it has snow tires all the way around. In the spring I'll go back to using my 98 ES (my summer car). Some folks swap their regular tires for snow tires at the start of the winter; I swap cars as it is easier. I think about restoring the 94ES as I have had it since it was new. Most likely I will restore my 94GS instead of the ES as it only really needs its paint freshened.

Much like AZ has a dry heat, MT has a dry cold so it is not too bad once you are used to the cold in general. Besides when it comes to temperature it is all relative. I about froze to death one Nov day in San Antonio. I was in the Army at Ft Sam Houston and the Army being the Army decides when you can wear a jacket. They said San Antonio was a temperate zone and jackets were not authorized yet despite the temperature.
    jjj

I'm trying my best to keep my GS running great. So far I'm winning the battle but you never know when something is gonna come up.
    It's funny at first I loved the hood bump, then I HATED it, now I love it again lol I guess it just depends on my mood.
    As for my LS, I would love to get her running again for a daily driver she ran fine before she sat for a year, so i'm sure it wouldnt take much to hear her start again.
    I would love to have 3 or more 7g's lol they just look so good to me. I'm lucky I never have to worry about snow tires or rust issues really.

I would much rather dry temps got when it gets humid here I cannot stand it. I remember one day it was about 95 here then a cold front blew in and it got down to below 30 the next morning and I could barely stand it. What gets me is usually the wind chill though.
    It's funny you mentioned that about the jackets cause I have a few friends that just went through basic at Lackland AFB and they were complaining about them not being able to wear jackets and stuff.