The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: speedo stopped working

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

speedo stopped working

Speedo just stopped working. Was working just before I parked. Came out and got nothing. not even a vibration from the speedo needle. Can someone clue me in as to where I should to start looking for the cause? Am I looking for a disconnected wire? Looking for something on the auto trans? I can use my GPS for tacking my speed but I'd really rather have the speedo back working. Tach still working fine
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Is this the same car with the problems?

I would swap the whole cluster from one of your other cars just to make sure its not something more serious.
    If the other works then try cleaning the connections on the back of the cluster where the speedo screws go in and make sure they get good contact all around and are tight but not super tight.
    If cleaning and stuff doesn't work then it looks like you may need a new speedo or new cluster.
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

It's common (or will be) on the 8g's that the connector on the trans is corroded and needs to be cleaned. I would check that before ripping out any clusters lol.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Neither of my 94's have any corrosion near the sensors but thats a good idea, I didnt think of that.
    Our cars are even older so maybe the whole speed sensor went out.

And ripping out the clusters? It's 6 screws and like 5 minutes lol

As I have a spare instrument cluster going to try swapping that first because as Deadeyes points out it is only 6 screws and very easy to reach. It is kind of a pain reaching back to where the speed sensor is located (back side of trans just inside the rear trans mount) but was able to determine the wire is still connected to it. Going to try pulling and cleaning the connections if the cluster does not fix it. I have a spare trans so pulled the speed sensor so I can always do a part swap if needed. Thanks for the suggestions, let you know what I find.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Yes this the same car that just died due to battery cable coming disconnected. Its my winter car and had been sitting since last spring which may account for some of the issues. Had her since new and she's got 280K miles with original engine and original trans (trans rebuilt at 200K) I am curious to see how far I can take her.
    jjj

I hope one of our two suggestions helps you out!
    Man that is awesome that you have had her that long, talk about true love ;] <3

Swapped the instrument cluster and ........nothing, speedo still not working. Looks like I have my weekend planned out now. Going to check wiring for breaks as best I can, clean the speed sensor connections. If that does not work then swap out the speed sensor. If that does not work then'll have to use the GPS for speed monitoring. I really want that speedo back working as I need to track mileage for bragging rights and to know when to do oil changes/timing belt changes. BTW, I spent more time looking for the spare instrument cluster than swapping it and yes it really is only 6 screws.

Really do love that car. In 1993 we had a '88 Mits Treadia (6g) when the 94 came hit the show rooms. It was love at first sight. Only question was what model to buy. Debated buying the GS but just could not justify the extra expense. She's been a great car; other than maintenance and normal wear and tear items (brakes, oil changes, timing belts) only had to replace a couple of couple of water pumps, replace an axle and rebuild the trans in the 20 years we have had it. Surprisingly she has broken at least two timing belts (might even be three). Even one broken timing belt should have trashed the engine. Each time it broke at almost exactly 60K miles. I can only guess the early 7g had more clearance between valves and piston than the typical 7g 4G64 engine.
    jjj

That sucks hopefully its just a dirty/faulty sensor then.

Man thats so cool, and super awesome that she's still going strong after some broken t belts, it goes to show that if you love your car she'll love you back! (for the most part anyway lol)

it was the speed sensor. Shaft and gear separated from the body of the sensor and slipped down into the trans. Scraped away the road debris of 80K miles, undid one 10mm bolt and pulled it out. Hardest part was reaching it. Even the removing the electric connector was simple; loosen one metal retaining clip and slid off. Job was made easier by removing the MAF and air filter housing from the air filter to the TB. Used a sensor I pulled from a spare trans I had sitting in the garage so cost me nothing but time to fix. Next time I see a 7g in a JY I'll have to pull the speed sensor as AutoZone wanted $110 for one. Have to be sure to collect things that break. Really can't complain as it had 280K on it. Now back on the road to reaching my next benchmark; 300K miles when she'll get her next timing belt.
    jjj

Glad its fixed and I hear ya about grabbing up some replacement parts when you can, brand new parts are stupid expensive, and i'm not even talking about oem.

I can't wait to see that 300k odo picture!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Too bad I didn't see this sooner. Any time this happens it's the speed sensor. Had it happen in mine when the dealer left my rear mount lose and it snapped the sensor.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Galanttuner10, there is so little traffic in the 7g forums that I always amazed anyone still checks in on them. 7g forums feel like a ghost town most days as there is so little going on. I am still sticking with the 7g for the foreseeable future as it is a great car, I like its looks and am pretty comfortable working on them. Normally I inherit my wife's old car when she gets a new one. That is how I added the newest 7g (98 ES) to my stable. Trans went out on her so I did a 5 speed swap on it and kept it. She now has a 2011 Hyundai Sonata so it will be a while before she'll be needing a new car. I am not sure I'd even want that Sonata; way too much on it that is electronic control for my taste.
    jjj

I having the an issue with my speedo, swap speed sensor and still does nothing untill I reach a certain speed and it will go up to about 100mph and stay there...its hard to find a GS cluster without being raped on the $$
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Could be a wiring issue or the gear in the tranny that the gear in the sensor meets with. Most people don't know what a GS cluster is so just look on eBay and Craigslist. I got lucky with mine from eksz.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Do you have a pic of the GS cluster, I'm most likely going to the junkyard tomorrow and they have a few 7Gs there so I can check for you.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    Do you have a pic of the GS cluster, I'm most likely going to the junkyard tomorrow and they have a few 7Gs there so I can check for you.
    Basically a regular cluster but with a 6300rpm redline and a 150mph speedo
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Yea of you ever see a 7G with a 150mph speedo it's a GS
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR