The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ebay Exhaust/Catback: Do or Do Not?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Ebay Exhaust/Catback: Do or Do Not?

So,
    this spring, I am looking to get rid of the old OEM exhaust on my Galant and step up to something a little more aggressive. Seeing that I am not the richest guy in town, I often turn to Ebay to hunt for parts and upgrades. One of the cheapest and easiest options for exhaust is to do the good ol' Ebay kit, much similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GALANT-2-4L-...cce918&vxp=mtr

I was thinking of doing something like this (maybe not this EXACT one), but whole exhaust kit from ebay in the $100-$200 range.
    Does anyone have much experience with Ebay exhausts? I hope to acquire that deep throaty sound that we all know and love. I want to AVOID the annoying "vrraap vrap *pop* vraaaapp" but rather get those smooth and deep tones. I know, this can be hard to achieve with such a small engine, but I'd hope to get as close as I can get.
    Another option I looked into was just going with a Magnaflow muffler. Dropping the catback, cutting off the muffler, and welding the new muffler on. To buy the muffler and rent a welder for a day would cost more if not the same than getting this kit, let alone, the risk or misalignment or leaks.

So, has anyone ever tried an Ebay exhaust kit like this before? How did it turn out? Did you like it? How did it sound? Would you recommend it?
    If anyone could give me some insight/advice on what I should do, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks guys!

-SpecialK

I'm running an ebay catback on my Galant and I know a few other people in town with ebay catbacks on their 3G Eclipses. It's a decent sounding exhaust and the price can't be beat. The only thing I wonder about is how it would sound on the 4 cylinder like you have because all of us locals with this exhaust have V6 cars. I'm sure Rezal could tell you how great it sounds on the V6's since he's been around on numerous occasions.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

had mine for 4 years no problems. another had a 4 cyl it sounded raspy until he replaced it with a 3g oem muffler

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    ^ I've personally heard G-spots car and it sounds very nice with it. I would definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Yep, Rezal and I have talked a bunch about this. I know that its true that I am not guaranteed exactly what I hoped to achieve with a 4 cylinder, but in the long run, Id like to avoid the noisy, irritating high-pitched sound, if at all possible.

There are a couple different ebay exhausts. You need the one with the giant resonator and it will sound good. The other ones sound horrendous.

Off topic, but only bumping this because Pete's sig is tits...literally

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"