The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Shocks

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Rear Shocks

Just a few questions really.

My rear shocks are stuffed left is soft as jelly and right is squeeky and seizing so am looking at replacing them.

Is there any links or info on how?

And my wreaked said he's pretty sure 8g ones are the same for the rear is this true? If so I have a set that have only done 30,000km if they are different will need to hunt a little more

Yes 8g shocks are the same.

There are 2 14mm nuts at the strut tower. You can access hem by removing the upper rear seat end cushions. The cushions are held by a 12mm bolt under the lower rear seat. After that the cushion has to be pushed up to unhook it.

There's one 17mm bolt that holds the bottom of the shock to the rear spindle. You remove the bolt and the shock should slide back and then out.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Yes 8g shocks are the same.

There are 2 14mm nuts at the strut tower. You can access hem by removing the upper rear seat end cushions. The cushions are held by a 12mm bolt under the lower rear seat. After that the cushion has to be pushed up to unhook it.

There's one 17mm bolt that holds the bottom of the shock to the rear spindle. You remove the bolt and the shock should slide back and then out.
    Sweet thanks heaps mko can always rely on your for a fast informative answer i will buy these shocks then costing my $50.00 nzd each

But don't the 8G rear struts have a different width spring perch than the 7G? The Magna/Diamante have the same width perch as the 7G while the 8G perch is more like the 2G Eclipse.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Right now I'm confused and being a idiot shows how little I know about suspension. There's a difference between struts and shocks? I thought they were the same thing now I have no idea what I need. Where are shocks?

What is it more Likly to be? I physically know what I need as I can see its damage. It's the strut then I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerWC View Post
    Right now I'm confused and being a idiot shows how little I know about suspension. There's a difference between struts and shocks? I thought they were the same thing now I have no idea what I need. Where are shocks?

What is it more Likly to be? I physically know what I need as I can see its damage. It's the strut then I think.
    Struts are shocks with the springs attach to them on a perch with a mount install on top of the spring.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Welll my 7g has struts not shocks I assume you have 1 or the other so are 8g struts the same as 7g or no?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerWC View Post
    Welll my 7g has struts not shocks I assume you have 1 or the other so are 8g struts the same as 7g or no?
    If the 8G struts comes with springs, then yes. If you have just the strut itself with no springs then I think the 7G springs won't sit well on the 8G strut perch. You can use either 7G or 8G strut mounts.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

I guess I will go see my wrecker this afternoon then . We have a holiday Monday so would be a good chance to get it done

I had the impression he was talking about the whole unit - shock + spring.

Yes the 8g shocks have different perches than 7g, If worse comes to worse, you can knock the perch out of the shock with hammer and swap them
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Oh sweet yea not sure if it's complete or not hoping it is will let you guys know when I get them thanks heaps for your help

Got the shocks today look in pretty good condition ended up being 40,000km on them but still not bad. They were complete so hopefully its a easy swap. Unfortunatly i will prob end up doing it alone hope this weather improves.

Any tricks i need to know or silly things to watch out for?

Right i finnally installed the shocks wow what a difference it has made Ride is so much better and no more annoying noises. Now all i need to do is fix my cracked rim