The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP!!! Replaced engine, now.car wont start!!

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Icon4 HELP!!! Replaced engine, now.car wont start!!

Hey guys i need some serious help.
    2003 galnt 2.4 automatic.
    The timing belt went out it and destroyed everything internal. So i decided to replace the engine.
    The new engine is.in and everything has been put back to where it goes.
    Ok so.heres the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

When you turn the key. It sounds like it tries to start. The pulley moves and so do the belts.
    You can hear the starter turning but the car just wont turn over.
    Ive checked all the connections all the bolta and so on
    But still.nothing
    Here are some questions i have on where im not very knowledgable on.
    1. On some cars when you turn the key you can hear the fuel pump coming on. I dont hear it on this galant but im also not sure if the galant fuel pump is even suppossed to be heard when you turn the key.
    2. Ground connections. I could of missed one. If someone.could.point me to the location of all the ground connevtions. That would help a lot.
    3. Not sure about.ignition relays or fuses. If they would make a difference and if so, where are they located.
    4. I checked all the sparkplugs and wires. They look fine. Unless there are different ways of checking them.

And lastly. Timing. I dont know.much about the timing or how to test if timing went out/ skipped.
    I really hope its something simple and not.something like timing.

Im stuck guys and any help or advice i could get would be great.

Thanks soo much!

Heres a couple videos of what the car is doing.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/wi.../2003%20galant
    Last edited by wilder; 01-20-2014 at 07:59 PM

check to see if you have spark and fuel. and if it sounds normal like it has compression too.

to check for spark, pull a plug and put it back in the wire. suggestion is to pull cylinder number 1 because youve got a longer wire to work with. have a friend crank the car over while you hold the plug against a metal piece and watch the spark jump across the diode. BE CAREFUL not to touch anything metal. if you have to use a pair of needle nose pliers use them to hold the rubber part of the wire.

to check for fuel take the 2 10mm bolts off of the fuel rail and when you pull it off hold a rag over it just in case there is pressure in it. have a friend turn the key while you hold the end of the fuel line in a water bottle. obviously if fuel comes out your fuel pump is good.

report back and we'll go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kylecanthurdle View Post
    check to see if you have spark and fuel. and if it sounds normal like it has compression too.

to check for spark, pull a plug and put it back in the wire. suggestion is to pull cylinder number 1 because youve got a longer wire to work with. have a friend crank the car over while you hold the plug against a metal piece and watch the spark jump across the diode. BE CAREFUL not to touch anything metal. if you have to use a pair of needle nose pliers use them to hold the rubber part of the wire.

to check for fuel take the 2 10mm bolts off of the fuel rail and when you pull it off hold a rag over it just in case there is pressure in it. have a friend turn the key while you hold the end of the fuel line in a water bottle. obviously if fuel comes out your fuel pump is good.

report back and we'll go from there.
    I took off the 2 bilts that hols the fuel rail. Pull it a bit and fuel started gushing out bad. So i figured i was getting fuel.
    I also tried the spark test but didnt see any sparks. If it could be a sparkplug/wire problem. What could.i do about it or what ways can i trace back the problem?
    Thankss a lot for the help.

Did you watch the videos?

Also whts the easiest and fastest way to check the timing belt. ?

Also what about the crank shaft position sensor. If its bad, anyone know how to replace it?
    Last edited by wilder; 01-20-2014 at 08:41 PM

Sounds a lot like this Hyundai engine a friend of mine asked me to look at and figure out why it would no longer start. Engine had no compression. Sounds like it's just spinning. Are you sure the new engine is good? Did they check compression before you put it in? Because it sounds a little loose. Quickest way to check the timing bet is to remove the timing cover and see if it spins, but it would need to be in time (although that is harder to properly determine without fully removing the timing covers to check belt alignment). A compression test will tell the tale.

Edit: sounds a lot like the sound of no compression.

Last edited by wetamup2k3g; 01-21-2014 at 05:33 PM

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Sounds a lot like this Hyundai engine a friend of mine asked me to look at and figure out why it would no longer start. Engine had no compression. Sounds like it's just spinning. Are you sure the new engine is good? Did they check compression before you put it in? Because it sounds a little loose. Quickest way to check the timing bet is to remove the timing cover and see if it spins, but it would need to be in time (although that is harder to properly determine without fully removing the timing covers to check belt alignment). A compression test will tell the tale.

Edit: sounds a lot like the sound of no compression.

:( oh no dont tell me that!! I was really hoping it was the no spark/ bad crankshaft position sensor.
    How can i test compression if i dont have any special tools? Also what woukd be my next step.if it actually has lost compression?

And its a used engine i pulled from. Junkyad. :(
    Im bummed out man

Sorry bro. You basically need a compression tester from a parts or tool store, they aren't crazy expensive. If you have good compression, that means your engine is fine and in time, so then you can go on to other causes. However, that sound wasn't pleasant IMO. If it does turn out to have very little to no compression, you can either try your hand at another JY engine or rebuild the one you have.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Ok weathers been bad but ill check tomorrow.
    First im.gonna do a spark test. Ifi have no spark then replace the crankshaft position sensor.
    Second ill do an.inspection on the timing.belt.
    Third ill do a copression test.

Are there any fuses or relays i should double check?

Quote Originally Posted by wilder View Post
    Ok weathers been bad but ill check tomorrow.
    First im.gonna do a spark test. Ifi have no spark then replace the crankshaft position sensor.
    Second ill do an.inspection on the timing.belt.
    Third ill do a copression test.

Are there any fuses or relays i should double check?
    first do the spark test.
    next do the compression test. (this tester will be available for FREE at autozone. just gotta pay for the tool in full and then you get it back when you return the tool not broken.)
    then pull the timing covers and check timing. i wouldnt take the timing covers off if you dont have to because its not an easy job.
    if you dont have compression then squirt a few cc's of trans fluid down into the cylinders and try it again. if the compression goes up then your rings are at fault. if they dont, then pull the timing covers and check to see if it is in time. if it is then you either have bent valves, carbon deposits on the valve seats. something like that. i literally had a mazda at work sound identical to that and it turned out it needed a valve job. good luck!

also, just because you dont have spark doesnt mean its a bad crank sensor. it could be a cam/crank correlation. that would be caused by timing off. and if you change the crank sensor you have to pull the timing covers anyway.

one last thing, its worth a try because it may point you in the right direction. throw a code tester on there. maybe, just maybe, youll have a pending code or something in the system. maybe a crank sensor code is stored but since it doesnt run it wont throw a CEL.

If its bad compression. Ill just get another engine. I dont have any mechanical knowledge of engine internals and i dont think im ready for it yet. Atleast not in winter time.

Thanks a lot guys! Will keep you posted

Alright guys. Spend some time on the car.

Did the spark test. Cyl 1 and 4 were good. 2 and 3 failed. No spark. Got a new coil and tried. Still no spark.

Tried the compression test.but didnt work.out because the. Battery was almost dead.

Soi decided to.look at the timing belt. Basically took off the top plastic cover. Ans had my bro spin the crankshaft pulley.
    Guess what!!!!
    The crank pulley spins but the camshaft pulley doesnt.
    Yep it doesnt. One spins but.the other one has no movement.
    The belts.not brocken or anything so.im pretty sure.somethings broken internally.

Anyways i guess ill.just get a new engine.

Just wanted to update

that makes no sense to me. if the pulley spins when you crank the engine, that means the crankshaft is good all the way from the flex plate to the damper (including the keyway). if the crank spins but the cam doesnt that means the belt must be broken. but if the belt isnt broken then wth could it be?! sorry, just thinking out loud here. i always try to see what caused a problem and why (technician brain over here). maybe i will come across the same issue in the distant future and ill know where to go. maybe the belt is snapped in the bottom part of the cover? ive seen belts snap at one tooth, (timing belts dont always fray when they go, they usually snap like a chain, at the weakest link) and it still looks like the belt is on the pulley, just very loose when you try to move it. well im glad you figured it out though. hopefully the JY doesnt charge you again. ive had junkyards charge me but say theyll give me a better deal on the 2nd engine/trans and i fight till no end on giving me a free replacement. anyway, dont be a stranger/one thread wonder, make a newb thread introducing yourself, we're always looking for new contributing members on here....(not that we dont have any) but the more the merrier. guranteed youll learn more on this site than most others. plus everyone on here is pretty chill. you into modding you G at all?

I did some more research on line so.i could make a better decision on my next steps.
    The belt teeth are probably worn off and are sitting the crank pulley. Thats why the pulley spins but the belt and cam wont.
    I guess that would mean there could.be some internal damage. If so, then ill.just replace the engine again.

Im.not.too excited about doing a timing.belt.job since ive never done it.before and dont.know a thing about.it.

So im pretty close to deciding.on just doing another swap

wait. you installed a junk yard motor with out replacing any of the timing belt/water pump stuff? You don't know how well the belt is in shape, and that should have been the first thing that you did on the motor when you got it, atleast change the timing belt and balance shaft belt along with the water pump.....

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Youre right ill.keep that in mind for this new engine i get.
    Can anyone point me to where i can learn aboutthe belt and timing.
    Like step by step with pictures would be awesomee

get a hayes manual. best thing ever. autozone has em 20 bucks i think

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant