The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Motor Mounts - can't keep them from breaking!

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Icon8 Motor Mounts - can't keep them from breaking!

Hello Everybody,

Does anybody have any recommendations on a specific brand or type of motor mounts that will last me more than one year. My front and rear motor mounts keep breaking on me. I have tried two or three different brands. I do drive hard. I try to refrain from accelerating to fast from a stop but they still keep breaking around 9-12 months of use. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rami

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    get prothane mounts. you have to pop out the innards of the mounts you have and install those in the front and back, you can do all four but you will get more vibration.

^^^^ what Dom said. heres the links for some depending on your engine type

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2005-Mi...839f5e&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prothane-Mit...b5a8e2&vxp=mtr

very cheap and worth the buy.

OEM from oemmitsubishiparts.com or Beck/Arnley from Rockatuo.com/ebay etc

I've heard good things about Prothane, but mainly if you have a manual if I remember correctly.

dont drive rough....

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Here's a pick of mine, the side mounts are prothane inserts and the front and rear are energysuspension inserts, hardest part was getting the metals rings out, I tried cutting the rings out but ended up just using a press and pressed them out, I drive like i stole it and the mounts haven't broken since I upgraded them.

15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    Here's a pick of mine, the side mounts are prothane inserts and the front and rear are energysuspension inserts, hardest part was getting the metals rings out, I tried cutting the rings out but ended up just using a press and pressed them out, I drive like i stole it and the mounts haven't broken since I upgraded them.

I saw some prothane parts on Ebay but I am having trouble finding the energy suspension equivalents. Where did you buy yours from? (thank you for the advice!) can't wait to replace mine.

A simple google search brings up http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/ and http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/ and those are the site I bought from. You could get the prothane front and rear inserts but prothane did 2 things wrong with the front and rear inserts, 1st they made the hole that the bolt go through too big so you have to sleeve the bolt and 2nd they put holes in the mount insert itself and the space between the holes can rip creating a bigger hole.
    00 Eclipse RS MT

That problem was on the older Prothane kits. They have since revised them.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

my bad, I found the prothane site Black, but for some reason I ended up on a different site for the energy ones, hmm, I was not diligent enough, also thought there may be a site that you frequent for parts. Thanks to everyone. I am going to order the parts and hopefully not be bothered by these again! :p One last thing, I am going to try and get the Prothane kit for all 4 and hope that what M-rod stated about fixing that issue is correct!

The one thing to look out for is making sure you're buying the new revised kit and not some old overstock of the old version.

This listing is for the new kit which includes the cross member bushings as well.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-1903-Prot...d5e71b&vxp=mtr
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

M-rod, I sure was about to! lol, I'm not sure how often Prothane update their images on their site but they looked like the old ones. Glad you showed me this link! Thank you both once again! Onto the next post!

just in case anyone was wondering, New mounts are money, I only have the front and rear in, a little more cabin rumble while stopped in gear but it's worth it to me!

I've replaced mine twice and haven't had a problem since, next I'm definitely getting poly mounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black, Did your side mounts come in two pieces or were they solid units? the prothane set of 4 the left and right mount are two pieces that you slide in from each side then insert the sleeve. just wondering.

2 pieces, I found an old photo, the trans and passenger inserts are different sizes so if you're ordering just the side inserts from prothane make sure you order the right part numbers

00 Eclipse RS MT

Nice, were those easier to put in because they were in pieces?

yes, I could push them in with my hands, the front and rear I used a press.
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Motor Mount Upgrade

I did 3 of the 4 on my V6 Galant using the red urethane. Had to drill the mount stud hole as I upsized the bolt. Too hard to add pictures or I would.
    Last edited by FooseGalant; 06-23-2014 at 11:02 AM Reason: info error

Just posting so I have the links for inserts... lol
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!