The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3D Printed Key Fob

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

3D Printed Key Fob

What's up guys. Back in college I was doing a lot of 3D print work using solidworks, and one of my later projects was to redesign the key fob for the 8G. Mine was falling apart and I never really liked it, so I took to the calipers and did what I do.

As with any prototyping I went through a few iterations, and it started out like this:

As of now it sits like this:

As you can see there's a gap between the 2 pieces because some of the top half bows a bit during printing. Obviously there's some cosmetic inconsistencies but that's all due to printer resolution and some other stuff, so that'll change with print quality.

I'm gonna get a metal one printed here sometime soon, and I'll test out the range and let yall know.
    GaB

Anyway, the reason I put this on TGC (besides it applies) is because I don't have access to SolidWorks anymore, so the project is on a design hiatus if you will. I figured someone on here would like the link to the part files; if so, contact me however you so desire and we'll go from there. For now, here's the link to my Thingiverse page for it, which contains the .stl files:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:96346

AND, if you have any questions as to how you can play with the files and try a design out for yourself (it really ain't that hard), general questions about 3D printing/modeling, or whatever else, ask them here. Yall have helped me with so much stuff, I'd be glad to return the favor in an area I'm more well-versed.
    GaB

Having dealt with this issue myself lol, gotta say I respect your approach to a solution and willingness to share. I have no knowledge of solid works, so this would be out my league lol, but definitely cool. I think a brushed stainless look would be sick and upscale looking

Thanks man. Yeah the fob definitely wasn't Mitsu's forte in the early 2000s, it was bound to fall apart.
    And I like the idea of brushed metal too, but since I'm going with a smooth/clean approach to my G I'm doing the same with the fob, so I'm gonna go with a more satin finish.
    GaB

General update: I don't know if I'm actually gonna get a metal one printed cuz it's like $50, which is too much for a prototype, maybe later...
    I am getting another higher-resolution plastic one done some time soon and I'll show yall how it's going. If I do end up getting a fancier one printed, I might make it available for purchase for basically the cost of the material.
    GaB

I'm well versed in cad and also own a 3d printer oddly enough, is there anything in particular that you wanted to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk