The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hello from Iowa

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Hello from Iowa

Just want to say hi and thank wetamup2k3g and Voodoo for helping me get up and going on the forums. Been stalking these forums since I bought my 8g in Sept. Speaking of the g, it is a 2002 ES V6 that I bought of my friend with 3,000 miles on a rebuilt 3.5L with I believe he said high compression hyundai pistons, the cams out of the 3L V6, aftermarket headers, ecu flash (altough he says it needs a little more tuning),and other parts I can't remember. The body of the car is a little rough in spots but we are hopefully going to be working on that this summer. The most pressing issue right now is the suspension. I'm rolling around on cut springs and blown struts. This should be taken in the next couple weeks as I can not stand the sound the car makes when we hit a bump and you here that horrible scrap of the tires hitting the fenders. Anyways, just want to thank wetamup2k3g and Voodoo again for their help.

No problems and welcome to TGC! Show us some pics when you can.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome!
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Welcome, I want to see that engine bay
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Thanks for the "welcomes" and I'll try to get on the pics as soon as possible but she ain't none to pretty right now. And is there something special about the engine bay? I didn't even know there was anything different about it until my friend that I bought it from told me he swapped the motor. Looked like every other Stratus/Eclipse I had seen. As a side question, where might I post or possibly find info about a 97 AWD Eclipse with the 6A12TT from the 7G VR4. This is a car that my friend built 5 or 6 years ago and now he's having trouble with the battery dying all the time. He's search other forums and I told him I'd ask here since that motor came out of a Galant. He's done new batteries, altenators, pulled dash out, and checked wires through the whole the thing. It ran good up until the last year or so. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewAskew View Post
    Speaking of the g, it is a 2002 ES V6 that I bought of my friend with 3,000 miles on a rebuilt 3.5L with I believe he said high compression hyundai pistons, the cams out of the 3L V6, aftermarket headers
    Quote Originally Posted by ViewAskew View Post
    And is there something special about the engine bay? I didn't even know there was anything different about it until my friend that I bought it from told me he swapped the motor. Looked like every other Stratus/Eclipse I had seen.
    8G comes with a 3.0 L and you said you had 3.5 L, that's why I wanted to see it.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Ah, I see. It is the the 6G74 3.5L that was in the 94-04 (?) Diamante. Looks the same as the 3.0L but it has a taller deck.

Hello from Iowa

Welcome! Where in Iowa are you from? I thought I was the only one in Iowa driving an out of the norm Galant but I guess not lol

I'm from Dsm as well. I'm a bit jealous of your ride though. I was looking at the old style conversion but now that I've seen yours I'll have to go another direction. Your car is too clean for me to try to bite your style.

Here are 2 pics. I hope I uploaded them right.

Nope I didn't
    Last edited by ViewAskew; 02-17-2014 at 05:57 PM

[URL=http://s161.photobucket.com/user/ViewAskew2/media/IMAG0457_zps6a441422.jpg.html][/URL
    Sorry about it being so dirty. I hate cleaning it then having it freeze over night

I see it still has the original throttle body. You will want to look into installing a Diamante throttle body since as it sits right now, if everything is hooked up correctly, your egr valve will be open at all times causing a random/multiple misfire at low rpm. It also causes a lean condition as well until the ecu expects the egr flow as activated by the egr solenoid and vac switching valve.

To be completely honest, the egr is disabled from when it got tuned. Is this a bad thing? That maybe explains the weird idle. I'll ask my friend about the throttle body because he had the whole motor and accessories from when he decided to swap motors. Anything else I should look into? I know its got a basic tune thrown on it because he was taking it to the track over last summer and just want to get it running and then sell it.

Even if its disabled in the tune, the vacuum itself will pull the egr valve open to cause a rough idle. You shouldnt really need anything other than the correct throttle body with gasket and iac pigtail.

Welcome! Is that a replacement valve cover?

^^Vic, that's the black valve cover that comes with the 74, the three tabs sticking up are the mount points for the beauty cover the 3.5's came with:

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

^^^ Sweet. I thought they all came with the 24v mitsu one. Looks stealthy..

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk