The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installed new shocks and struts now get a banging noise

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Installed new shocks and struts now get a banging noise

as the title says I installed new shocks and struts "kyb- gr2" and kept the original springs. I made sure everything fit perfectly and was torqued per spec. Anything I can check to see what it is? It does it mostly when I hit small dips in the road. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you get a video recording? Pics of the installed strut/spring?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Did you put the rubber bump stops on the new shocks? You could be bottoming out. Other possibility is that you didn't get the nut on the top of the shock tight enough. I'd recheck the nuts.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Did you put the rubber bump stops on the new shocks? You could be bottoming out. Other possibility is that you didn't get the nut on the top of the shock tight enough. I'd recheck the nuts.
    Hey, do you have a picture of what the bumpers look like? And I checked the nuts with my torque wrench and they were in spec.

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Can you get a video recording? Pics of the installed strut/spring?
    I'll try and get a video of it but I don't know how well you will hear the noise and do you want a picture from the wheel side or under the hood

Also check your sway bar end links I have a broken one and when the car rooms to that side it hits the underbody.

Quote Originally Posted by 154james View Post
    Hey, do you have a picture of what the bumpers look like? And I checked the nuts with my torque wrench and they were in spec.
    Don't be afraid of the Google. It won't bite.

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepa...HI/GALANT/1999

It goes on the shock shaft. All four should have one.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I replaced both front sway bar end links because the ones that were on there were shit. I used prostop ones and greased them for shit afterward. I'm thinking about taking it to a shop.

Don't be afraid of the Google. It won't bite.

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepa...HI/GALANT/1999

It goes on the shock shaft. All four should have one.
    I reused the old ones that I had on it before and one of them was kind of beat, could it be that?

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    Get new bump stops it could be that

«Carlos»