The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2002 Galant ES coolant leak from bolt on bottom of engine

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

2002 Galant ES coolant leak from bolt on bottom of engine

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I don't post something wrong or in the wrong place.
    My Grandson has a 2002 Galant ES 4cyl he bought used with 165,000mi on it. He has had it for 6 months and it has developed a coolant leak around a bolt on the bottom of the engine. The bolt is right next to the oil filter and I'm not sure what the bolt is. It looks a little larger than a standard bolt, I originally thought it may be a freeze plug however I have never seen a freeze plug on the bottom of the engine. I took a picture of the bolt that I have posted a link to. The picture is from underneath the car looking up. I wiped down around the area and waited for the "drip" to form again and it is coming from the bolt and not the gasket. I'm 99% sure it is coolant because of the smell and the feel of the liquid. I would like to know what this bolt is and what its function is before I pull it out. Its not a major drip, he lost about 3 qt of coolant over a months time, but enough to make a grandpa worry he may break down somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure it's coming from the bolt and not the overflow bottle hose or the water pump (inside the timing cover)? It looks as is the leak is coming from above that bolt.

My guess would be the water pump gasket. Coolant should be changed every 50-60k miles or 2-3 years to keep it from getting acidic.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

That bolt is in the oil pump housing. Coolant can not be coming from that bolt it must water pump.

^^^ Agreed with these guys.

Now that looks like rusty tap water, make sure when it's fixed the system is flushed and re-filled with coolant and distilled water or just buy 2 gallons of 50/50 mix and fill her up.

Also know that he can't be driving around like this, those belts look old. Has this car had any work done since he got it?

Buy a car like this at 165k miles the first thing that should have been was the timing belt job and water pump. While the car is torn apart replace leaking seals likie the cam and crank, also it would be a good idea to buy the component kit that comes with the timing idlers, replace the hydraulic tensioner, and be sure to replace the drive belts when its getting put back together, might also be a good time to do plugs and wires also and valve cover gasket if theres leaks around it or oil in the spark plug tube.

Another big word of advice don't CHEAP out on parts especially timing components.