The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: overheating after radiator replacement

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

overheating after radiator replacement

I replaced my radiator a couple weeks back, and everything seemed fine despite the temp gauge raising to a bit over the half mark. After a bit more of longer drives, the gauge now goes past 3 but and can get to 4. I have a few questions. How can i make sure that I purged the engine of air correctly. Is there a valve or do i just pop the top and let the engine run.

I cant say theres a leak because the coolant level has never changed

With the heater on have a friend hold 2500 rpm and you check the bottom hose to make sure the thermostat is opens, you'll see air bubbles at the neck (cap is off) after it opens and air has stopped purging which will require a few cycles, make sure the fan is coming on. Cap it and test drive.

If the thermostat wasn't changed when the radiator was replaced I would change it before its bled.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

I tried this today, minus revving the engine. I pulled the emergency brake and put the car in drive. The fans will kick in when needed and I can feel the bottom radiator hose warm up, but obviously not as hot as the top hose, so the thermostat does open. I watch for any and all bubbles. I took the car out for a spin and after 6 or 7 minutes, the gauge starts to raise and pass the three.

I believe that I have also found traces of oil in the coolant. Could this be a cracked cylinder head?
    Last edited by kendotelie; 02-25-2014 at 03:32 PM

Oil in coolant or vice versa could mean a blown head gasket.

Alos never, and I mean never put thw car in drive while its running and then go stand infront of it. Theres was absolutely no need to put the car in gear and pull the e-brake. You rev it while its in park. Also overheating is another sign of a blown head gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Oil in coolant or vice versa could mean a blown head gasket.

Alos never, and I mean never put thw car in drive while its running and then go stand infront of it. Theres was absolutely no need to put the car in gear and pull the e-brake. You rev it while its in park. Also overheating is another sign of a blown head gasket.

Darn. I m gonna rent a tool to pressure test the radiator

Quote Originally Posted by kendotelie View Post
    Darn. I m gonna rent a tool to pressure test the radiator
    Ok so I tried my luck again with purging the engine of air and this is what I experienced

note that I have not replaced the thermostat yet neither have I done the pressure test

I let the engine cool, popped the cap on the radiator and visibly I see that the radiator is full, and so is the overflow reservoir. I start the engine and let it idle. A few bubbles rise to the surface and then the overflow begins. If I let it overflow, the level of fluid in the reservoir does not change. So I stop the engine, refill the coolant in the radiator and then restart the engine. This time, the fans kick on and fluid surges out of the radiator like a hot spring, once most of it is out, nothing but steam rises from the neck of the radiator.. The temp gauge stays the same this whole time btw. I stop the engine and refill the radiator, restart the engine, and were back to just the overflow, ive got the heater on too btw. Fans kick on to high speed as the overflow begins again. I watch for bubbles, see none, then pop the cap back on. I sit in idle and rev the engine, coolant gauge stays in the middle, but once I do this with the engine in drive( foot on the brake, emergency brake up) at around 2k rpm, the gauge starts raising

Putting it in drive will do nothing. Stop doing that.

Change the thermostat and temp sensor. Its the single pin one close to the fuel rail on the thermostat housing.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Putting it in drive will do nothing. Stop doing that.

Change the thermostat and temp sensor. Its the single pin one close to the fuel rail on the thermostat housing.

ok, thatll be the next thing I do asap. I only mention and tried it in drive because that's when the temp gauge raises, not while in idle. I respond once I complete the job

Quote Originally Posted by kendotelie View Post
    ok, thatll be the next thing I do asap. I only mention and tried it in drive because that's when the temp gauge raises, not while in idle. I respond once I complete the job

I bestow my thanks upon you good sir. I changed out the thermostat and the sensor and installed another new radiator cap and all seems to be well now even after a good drive. I appreciate the guidance

Glad it worked out for, for the next few days check your coolant level in the morning and fill as needed. The car might take some from reserve as it burps itself of the last bits of air.

when changing the radiator, its very common that air gets into the system. Make sure the system is burped properly.

There is a bleed nipple on the top of thermostat housing to bleed air from the system. Make sure car is at operating temp to make sure thermostat is open and then unscrew bleed valve till a constant stream appears then top reservoir up with water/antifreeze mix.

I had definitely looked for a bleed nipple, but just never saw it. Past few days have been nothing but glorious. Got a baby on the way and a new/newly used car purchase is not in the budget

I dont think the usdm Galants have a bleeder screw. Trotty has a Legnum...

plz help i have no clue what this part is called or how to fix it.i have a 99 galant 2.4 4l. i buddy of mine changed the gasket of my intake manifold. to get the intake manifold out theres this brass piece im assuming. anyway it behind the motor on the driver side. coolant flows thru it and it goes bolted to the intake manifold itself. anyway wen everything was put back together it leaks and it didnt before. any help pictures, name of part ect will be greatly apreciated