The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: brake lights dont work

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

brake lights dont work

Just as the title states. Rest of the lights inside and out are good and no blown fuses. Only changes I made recently was puting a led bulb in the place of my shifter lights bulb. You think anything would have happened when taking the knob off or the surround with PRND321 off?

Any help appreciated as I have to get my car inspected this week

Theres a switch on your pedal lever. It may be stuck

Yeah I tried..is it the one above, under the dash with the white tip?

If so it moves out when the breaks are pressed, and retracts when I let off, cause the tab on the brake lever pushes it on its way back up. How do you remove the sensor if I need to replace..kinda wanna save $ if I can since it seems simple if I can remove it

Tried new bulbs and a new switch..still nothing. Is it any wires for brakes that are along the shifter?

No wires for brake lights where you changed the bulb. Check for power at the switch it should have a constant 12 volts to one of the wires, if there isn't start tracing the wire. Or you can give the pin that needs 12v direct power and test the switch that way. If it works leave that way to pass your inspection or until you can dig into it more.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the help...not really good at electrical stuff. I can hook stuff up if its plug and play or add connectors for wiring, but as far as metering...clueless lol. There aren't fuses for the brakes in the fuse box are there? I just checked the yellow boxed ones, cause I thought I read someone said check em in a similar thread to mine. But I did check all the fuses on the drivers dash, except the 2 big green ones. None were broken

I remember reading a thread some time ago, that LED bulbs in the cluster caused his brake lights to stop working (something to do with the voltage malfunction or something). You might want to switch the gear shift bulb or whatever else you have to changed back to OEM and see if that fixes it.

I have LEDs in my cluster and shift light. I think the thread is about LED's don't let the cruise control work.

Well that's funny cause I did put in different leds in my cluster same day, but I've had leds in it at a time I know 100% the brake lights worked. So really the only thing that day I converted to led that wasn't since the brakes worked, was the shifter bulb. But my cruise control stopped working way b4 any leds lol

Furthermore if the leds are the cuprit, its gonna suck cause I ordred more leds that day for my cig light, key light, and hvac
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 02-26-2014 at 10:45 AM

Problem solved, it was the fuse in the fuse box. Checked the side dash, but could kick myself for not thinking about the fuses under the hood in the box. Also for anyone wondering if you do have to replace your brake switch, you just turn counter clockwise to remove. The new one you put in the hole all the way down, until the white button is pushed in against the pedal, then turn clock wise to tighten

Maybe someone can help me out, I'm having issues with my brake lights. I bought led replacements for my brake lights twice and both sets did the exact same thing, when the key is in the off or accessory position the lights operate normally but when the key is in the on position and I turn on the running lights, the lights won't get brighter when the brake is pushed, but I switch one led with a halogen and it works properly again, any ideas how I can fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboJizm View Post
    Maybe someone can help me out, I'm having issues with my brake lights. I bought led replacements for my brake lights twice and both sets did the exact same thing, when the key is in the off or accessory position the lights operate normally but when the key is in the on position and I turn on the running lights, the lights won't get brighter when the brake is pushed, but I switch one led with a halogen and it works properly again, any ideas how I can fix this?
    I'm not sure about tails but when I did my turn signals I had to install a resistor to prevent the car from thinking the bulb was out, and maybe the tails are doing the same? LEDs require much less power, so maybe the car just thinks that the bulb is out. Hopefully someone else will chime in too and give their opinion cause I'm not 100% sure. Have you tried searching the rest of the forums for more info?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Yeah I had the same issue, I just finished my turn signals last night, and I have been searching all the forums I could and searching the Internet and even tried contacting the seller on eBay but I'm not having any luck. From testing all combinations it is only the two tail stop lights, not the high mount brake, I'm waiting on two more load resistors to come in to test, as well as some diodes