The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need some help with suspension again.

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Icon5 Need some help with suspension again.

Well last time i posted i did not get many replies or much help. Figured i would try again to see how it goes. But theres a few things that i have not been able to find out about suspension, 1. How low before losing comfort (couldn't really find the answer i was looking for) 2. Decently priced lowering suspension 3. only kinds applies if 1. is really low and get to keep comfort how low before i have to remove stuff in wheel wells. So i hope for some help this time it would be really appreciated. And i should also mention that im also undecided if im going to keep the car or not. So if i could try to save a little money i would enjoy that haha. And my car is a 1993 es Galant and before i forget. Wheel spacers not asking how they work for the "wide n low" look. SO before i keep going on i will post a pic of my car and what i want and the look im going for.
    this is mine https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/...42173615_o.jpg

this is what im shooting for http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psa6d52299.jpg i know its a vr4 but i just really think its an aggresive look, and i like it a lot. Minus the front bumper.

Comfort results from having 1) A healthy suspension 2) Proper geometry.

Meaning all the parts must be good and that there has to be enough room for the suspension to compress in order for it to navigate bumps and produce "comfort".

If comfort is what you desire you're looking at name brand drop springs only, mounted on KYB AGX's only. Urethane bushings all around and good alignment before it hits to the road will help immensely also.

Ive looked up eBay and the most suitable suspension for your 6G is the D3 Coilover System. It has 36 different dampers levels from soft as feather to racing rock solid. you can adjust it within your preference. It has adjustable ride height from 4 x 4 status to "tucking rims".
    The price is $958.75 just $58 dollars more than what you're projecting for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D2-Racing-RS...6cbe0c&vxp=mtr

Now if you want to go budget here one for you:
    H&R lowering springs $223 shipped, 1.75 inch drop on all 4 wheels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-Sport-Lo...38ea1a&vxp=mtr

Or if you wanna go cheaper there's the "Honda Route":

Adjustable Coilover lowering kit (struts) $179.99 shipped
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Mi...5a2e3c&vxp=mtr

Theoretically it has ride height adjustable between 1 inch to 4 inches all four wheels. Ride quality...well....

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    Comfort results from having 1) A healthy suspension 2) Proper geometry.

Meaning all the parts must be good and that there has to be enough room for the suspension to compress in order for it to navigate bumps and produce "comfort".

If comfort is what you desire you're looking at name brand drop springs only, mounted on KYB AGX's only. Urethane bushings all around and good alignment before it hits to the road will help immensely also.
    Thanks for the reply do you roughly know how much of a drop before clearance issues start. I would check but the car is not at my house, i really want to find a happy medium with being low and keeping the ride decent. But the more time i think about this car the more i just want it gone, and where i live i just need to make it really low so i can sell it fast. but thank you very much im going to go take a look at cost of you suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    Ive looked up eBay and the most suitable suspension for your 6G is the D3 Coilover System. It has 36 different dampers levels from soft as feather to racing rock solid. you can adjust it within your preference. It has adjustable ride height from 4 x 4 status to "tucking rims".
    The price is $958.75 just $58 dollars more than what you're projecting for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D2-Racing-RS...6cbe0c&vxp=mtr

Now if you want to go budget here one for you:
    H&R lowering springs $223 shipped, 1.75 inch drop on all 4 wheels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-Sport-Lo...38ea1a&vxp=mtr

Or if you wanna go cheaper there's the "Honda Route":

Adjustable Coilover lowering kit (struts) $179.99 shipped
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Mi...5a2e3c&vxp=mtr

Theoretically it has ride height adjustable between 1 inch to 4 inches all four wheels. Ride quality...well....
    WOW Thanks a a bunch thats awesome. And really helpful now i just need to decide what route to go. im back to undecided on if im going to keep it or not if i keep it it will just be to save money and but my DD on storage insurance. But holy crap thanks a lot dude. And i dont know why your post didn't show up yesterday

One more question about the last ones better idea to keep the struts i have on the car now, i was told they are pretty much brand new but there just the same as original. and if its a better idea to change the struts any recommendations.

I believe silvertune has answered that question.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Forgot about that thanks.

and the KYB AGX's will go with a 1 to 4 inch drop

I have decided to lower it a lot more i thought 4 inches was enough and its not haha.

You realize that the vr-4 you posted is lowered maybe 2in to 2.5in max.

4 or more will probably scrape the frame making it undriveable and not to mention unsafe. Re-read silvertunes posts and think about what he is trying to explain, especially the part where he explains ride comefort.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

so the question is:

do you want less ground clearance or do you want negative spacing in relations of fender and tire?

Suspension or lowering depends on you. How much comfort are your willing to give up and how much you got to spend on it. The good stuff is gonna cost you but they have good customer service and when your talking coilovers youll be able to send them in for a rebuild. I always thought of it like this, the lower you go the more uncomfortable the ride will be. The good parts will last a long time and give you a stiff ride even if you put them on the softest setting, there coilovers and are valved for the stiff ass spring they come with. The cheap parts wont last at all and give you a stiff and crappy ride.

If your gonna sell it then dont even bother it will only drop the value the car and no offense but that base 6g wont bring in alot. Well unless you sell it to some young kid thats like "oh snap that shit is dope" then you can take him to the cleaners.
    Last edited by xd_01; 02-27-2014 at 05:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    Suspension or lowering depends on you. How much comfort are your willing to give up and how much you got to spend on it. The good stuff is gonna cost you but they have good customer service and when your talking coilovers youll be able to send them in for a rebuild. I always thought of it like this, the lower you go the more uncomfortable the ride will be. The good parts will last a long time and give you a stiff ride even if you put them on the softest setting, there coilovers and are valved for the stiff ass spring they come with. The cheap parts wont last at all and give you a stiff and crappy ride.

If your gonna sell it then dont even bother it will only drop the value the car and no offense but that base 6g wont bring in alot. Well unless you sell it to some young kid thats like "oh snap that shit is dope" then you can take him to the cleaners.
    haha yeah i've been finding a lot more about suspension with this forum and another for my huge project. I totally agree with you on the selling stuff part. But i've sold stuff before not imports other junk cars that i can still come out with money in my pocket. I got this so cheap im not really worried about it after doing the head work and a few other things i still have barley to nothing into it. And im really considering keeping it because my Daily is expensive on insurance and with my other build i need to save some money up. So as of now im lowering just for me but i thought 4inches would be enough and its really not maybe with some aftermarket rims it would look a bit better. i wish those dc2s where not so much because i could just take them off the car when i sell it. So im still going the cheaper route to get a decent low on some decent coilovers still havent found what i want though.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    so the question is:

do you want less ground clearance or do you want negative spacing in relations of fender and tire?
    ive always hated that most cars tires to not go into the wheel wells just drives me nuts. Well i had a brainstorm at some point but dont know how well it would work i was just going to measure it at stock height then start cutting half coils out.(and no not my whole idea) And every half coil or maybe more measure again every half coil or so. And then when i get to the height i want and try to find some springs and struts or coil overs after i find out what ride height i want. And also work in what size tires and rims i might get and would like to run wheel spacers. just to fill up the well a little bit so. Is more of the long process but i think i could save some money and get money back out of it because there are a lot of High school kids that are running low cars on cut springs like really low unsafe low for stock springs so anything that has aftermarket suspension sells right away.