The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Options to upgrade my audio system

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Options to upgrade my audio system

Currently I'm running

It's quite loud but I'd like it to have more range with the highs and lows. I was thinking of adding kicker tweeters and replacing the amp.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make my audio louder and clearer?

I would get a set of component speakers for the fronts and change the amp to one with a higher high-pass-filter crossover network. This makes it possible to run an active crossover network and get the best sound possible. However, if you really wanted to keep that amp you can and just run the passive hpf crossover that comes with a decent set of component speakers. Mount the included tweeters in the sail panels (the pieces behind the side mirrors on the front doors) or the a-pillars to raise your soundstage and bring out the mids and highs.

For lows, you need a sub, no way around it. A sub plays lows better than anything and also lets your interior speakers focus on what they do best, mids and highs. You don't need a wall of 15's in your back seat, a single 10" or 12" in a nice box in the trunk will do, as well as a second amp to drive the sub. You don't need a lot of power, I run 300W RMS and it hurts my ears if I play it too loud for too long. Shoot, the amp you have does that wattage if you bridge the rear channel signal (though either it's not really reaching its rated power or it's producing a dirty signal, it's just too cheap to be that powerful without sacrificing some internal quality).

You don't really needs the rears if you have 160W rms up front, I'd be running the rear speakers off the headunit so they don't compete with the fronts. If the front and rear both have the same power, the rears pull the soundstage to the center of the car, where you want the fronts to do the bulk of the sound since you will be sitting there and running components up there usually in higher-quality installs.

Hope this helps!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I would get a set of component speakers for the fronts and change the amp to one with a higher high-pass-filter crossover network. This makes it possible to run an active crossover network and get the best sound possible. However, if you really wanted to keep that amp you can and just run the passive hpf crossover that comes with a decent set of component speakers. Mount the included tweeters in the sail panels (the pieces behind the side mirrors on the front doors) or the a-pillars to raise your soundstage and bring out the mids and highs.

For lows, you need a sub, no way around it. A sub plays lows better than anything and also lets your interior speakers focus on what they do best, mids and highs. You don't need a wall of 15's in your back seat, a single 10" or 12" in a nice box in the trunk will do, as well as a second amp to drive the sub. You don't need a lot of power, I run 300W RMS and it hurts my ears if I play it too loud for too long. Shoot, the amp you have does that wattage if you bridge the rear channel signal (though either it's not really reaching its rated power or it's producing a dirty signal, it's just too cheap to be that powerful without sacrificing some internal quality).

You don't really needs the rears if you have 160W rms up front, I'd be running the rear speakers off the headunit so they don't compete with the fronts. If the front and rear both have the same power, the rears pull the soundstage to the center of the car, where you want the fronts to do the bulk of the sound since you will be sitting there and running components up there usually in higher-quality installs.

Hope this helps!
    WOW! That's a lot of helpful info you compiled there. I was thinking of getting these two and then adding maybe a kicker later down the road (month or two)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1SX1R00E2EUMR

I was also looking for an easy place to put the tweeters without being forced to mount the crossover inside the door and potentially damage it. I was thinking of putting the crossover before the signal cables go through the door and then run the tweeter wire up to the windshield support and mount the tweeter there somehow. Any other suggestions regarding that? Thanks again for the in-depth response!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those two links are the same, and you can't go wrong there, Alpine makes great stuff. I also see no problem with mounting the crossovers outside the doors, the A-pillars (what you call the windshield support) is a fine place for tweeters, I loved them there in the Impala I rented (I hated everything else about that car though). Glad I could help, I'm starting to get more in-depth with car audio so while I'm not the most knowledgeable, I know a lot and don't mind helping in that department.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

My bad I was on my ipad and copied the wrong link lol here's the other link

The next challenge is to design a tweeter holder for the a pillars and print it on my 3d-printer!

EDIT:

I decided on these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A11TDERA94VQQ8
    That way I can mount them in the stock tweeter location.
    Last edited by 154james; 02-28-2014 at 12:08 PM