The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: short ram inner diameter?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

short ram inner diameter?

I'm new to obd ii cars so this is my first time dealing with a maf.. and I must say all in all obd ii guys have it way harder than 94 and back platforms.

Got an short ram from eBay with a 2.75 inner diameter for my 4g64 and it's throwing a cel for "large vacuum leak" which the only code being thrown before was for the egr needing to be cleaned/replaced, so I believe it's the diameter of the piping being to large.

I'm going to go to home depot within the week to get a plastic pipe to replace the metal one (less heat transfer) and was wondering what inner diameter should I get to knock the cel out?

You probably have a leak. Post a pic of your setup.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

I'll have better pictures when my wife gets back with the car.

I do have hood spacers and I do hear extra air movement when I take off.. but having a leak sounds pretty odd to me for a short ram.

I've only tripped the code since adding the intake and it's a pretty straight forward install. Silicone on tb, metal pipe in silicone, crank case vent tube to metal pipe, silicone to maf, maf to adapter/filter. All bolts are in, all plumbing is tighten.

The code is for massive vaccum leak or iac valve is clogged. It didn't throw the code pre intake upgrade so that's why I'm thinking it's not the iac.

So I'm going to slap the old piping back on to see if it clears.

If not: I'll need a new tb because the screws are stripped on the iac, so I'll go with a v6 tb w/ cruise
    If it fixes: I guess I'll need to measure out the stock size of the oem pipe.

But if my car throws codes just because a larger pipe, wouldn't I have issues with adding a bigger tb without tune?

The IAC doesn't get clogged. If you have a code for a vac leak, YOU HAVE A VAC LEAK. It has nothing to do with pipe size, you could run a ten foot wide intake pipe and the ECU wouldn't give a shit. So long as everything that goes into the engine is metered by the MAF you're fine.

Actually no. The code pulled by AutoZone said massive vacuum leak or dirty iac valve making a higher than normal idle.
    Seeing how you can eat out of my tb I doubt it's the iac. From reading I've done because like I said I'm no expert on all of these extra sensors it's plausible that a larger than normal diameter pipe can make the maf read more incoming air than normal. Some cars correct this while others I'm going to have to cut back the size of the inner diameter of the cai.

Like I said I'm testing it now by using the stock plumbing with the pod filter attached. If I throw a code I'll let you know, but as for vacuum leaks it would make no sense to get one the same day as installing my intake without it being me intake.

Nope never mind I found the vacuum leak last night driving home with my wife and youngest son.
    Intake manifold cracked. I'll admit the was the funniest 13 mile stretch ever.

Time to research the Outlander intake manifold. Won't crack like the stocker...

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Lol already did before I joined this forum.