The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: suspension and brake question

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

suspension and brake question

Just curious as to whats the best setup to put on my 95 galant for brakes and suspension... im finally starting to build the motor and such but want to upgrade the suspension/braking first.. any recommendations for certain brands or should i pull them off of a different car...im assuming to do rear disc you have to swap out the whole knuckle on the rear end..i also want a good suspension to install...any recommendations? specific year of vehicle or such thats best ?i am going 5 lug as well...thank you :0

Theres a tutorial on the rear brake conversion its probably in the 8g section but no different in steps If you search youll find it. Dual piston and evo$ brakes are popular. coilovers seem to be the best path. not to be confused with the cheap ebay coilover sleve 200$ or less bs.

You have to search though since its been talked about before.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Best brake setup for the money is running dual piston fronts and converting the rear to disc.

There are tutorials for this but here is the main run down.

Rear- 7G/8G rear disc backing plates with springs and shoes. 7G rear rotors and calipers then get some SS lines because the factory line won't work.

Front- 95-99 eclipse GSX dual piston calipers w/ brackets because they use the stock line and then 6G VR4 rotors because they retain the 4 lug. You will need at least 15 inch rims to clear these brakes.

Then you need a brake proportioning valve from a 1G DSM AWD either abs or non abs depending on what your car is. Then bleed and enjoy.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

7g came with rear disc on some models?? Never knew this. So should I not convert to 5 lug? Was planning on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Iturndawrenches; 03-16-2014 at 04:23 PM

If you like Evo wheels and all that or the wheels you like aren't 4 lug then swap. Me the only time I will go 5 lug is if I went to AWD. I do like Evo wheels so there has been the constant thought but I like how light the stock 15s are.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Thanks tuner. Didn't really need help with application or install procedures exhaust power just more ideas for a good solid brand or type. Thank you both for your input

I figured if you are asking what a good setup is you haven't searched and therefore aren't familiar with some of the setups out there. You didn't even now 7Gs came factory rear disc. Next time I will not respond. This is the reason I am quiet on this board even tho I can help in plenty of situations.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Say what? I've looked around but I see mostly swapping out eclipse parts or knuckles and 5 lug swaps. I was just saying thank you for the info tuner. I didn't know any US 7G came factory rear disc no. Thanks again. Appreciate it.

thank you for your help guys..all suspension and brake parts ordered and on way.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    You don't have to swap out any of the knuckles to do the swap...unless you find it easy to do so, but not necessary to.

You can use 2g/3g Eclipse and 8g Galant hubs if you plan to go 5lug. What GalantTuner posted earlier about what parts you need are correct to do the rear brake swap and 2 piston upgrade up front.

For the rear brake lines...you will need to use 2g Eclipse or 94 Galant rear brake hose application as the OEM drum lines will not work properly with the rear brake calipers.

If you plan to stock with the single pot front calipers...not really necessary to swap out the Proportioning valve, but if you want a better brake bias I would suggest getting a NON ABS Prop valve from a 2g or 1g and you can even use a 1g Diamante Non ABS Prop Valve, just need to slightly bend the feed lines from the Brake master cylinder to the Prop valve as the diamante prop valve has a slight angle.

Other than that...a good quality set of rotors and quality pads will make your braking from the original OEM setup MUCH BETTER.

Good luck.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Thank you. Much appreciated.