The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hello Everyone!

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Hello Everyone!

I am an owner of a 7th Gen. 1995 Galant with a 4G64 SOHC. Looking forward to learning from you guys and be able to share my thoughts and insights, as well!

T-Doug

My 1995 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 SOHC starts but almost always having trouble with starting the engine.

The engine will turn and will try to start but will die immediately. The engine will try to start and then will die immediately without any hesitation.

With a little persuasion, and several waiting and attempts, it will start and run fine.

I even cruise the freeway at 70MPH or so, and drive in stop-and-go rush hour traffic, silky smooth, without stalling as long as I dont shut the engine OFF because I'm pretty sure I will have trouble re-starting it.

Hard starting occurss intermittently and randomly. Sometimes, it will start with the 1st try, but sometimes, on the "nth" time. It doesn't matter whether the engine is stone-cold or fully warmed-up.

On one occasion, I shut off the engine to fill up gas at the pump and had a hard time re-starting the engine.

Here's what I did, so far:

1) Changed the spark plugs, spark plug-wires, cap and rotor.

2) Cleaned the MAF sensor (inside the air box between the air filter element and the rubber duct connected to the throttle body) with CRC MAF spray cleaner.

3) Unplugged one injector harness at a time while idling to verify if pumping fuel, the idle gets rough when injector which lead me to believe that there is fuel and there is signal from the ECU.

4) Removed the front timing covers off to check and verify the timing marks and they all line up accordingly with cylinder #1 at TDC, compression stroke.

As I have mentioned, the car drives great with no problems once started but the problem is getting it started.

Any ideas? Please help! This car is my daily driver and any help, assistance, suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

--- T-Doug

Welcome! Glad to see another 7g'er!

My car did something similar but when it would die I would hear this loud clicking constantly, turned out to be the fuel pump relay going out.
    Also Maybe the coolant temp sensor is going out, making the car think it's "overheating" even though its cold as fuuuu.
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

Welcome to TGC!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Welcome!

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DEADEYES View Post
    Welcome! Glad to see another 7g'er!

My car did something similar but when it would die I would hear this loud clicking constantly, turned out to be the fuel pump relay going out.
    Also Maybe the coolant temp sensor is going out, making the car think it's "overheating" even though its cold as fuuuu.
    I'm positive that the fuel pump relay is working because whenever the engine failed to start, I can smell fuel. So I am under the impression that the engine is getting fuel, it just couldn't burn it because the engine fails to start. And when it starts, the engine will continue to run until it turn the key OFF and the starting drama begins...

Where can I find the Coolant Sensor? I know there are 2 switches/sensor at the thermostat housing but one if the sender for temperature gauge and the other is the switch for the radiator electric fans. So where can I find the coolant temp sensor?

Ah ok, then I would just do what the guys in your other post said and hopefully all of this will solve your problem!

Coolant temp sensor should be on the back side of the thermostat housing, facing the firewall. Its under the temp gauge sender... its the bigger plug.
    Since these are older cars anyway I would replace the sensor anyway, its only 10 bucks or so.

I can get a pic of it if you still can't find it. :D
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

Welcome! Good luck diagnosing the issue!