The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 20x8.5 dont fit.

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

20x8.5 dont fit.

So i just got a few days ago a set of 20x8.5 ( 245-35-20 ) for my galant and i notice the tires hit the shocks in the front ( Not letting the tires go on ) and in the back they press up against the bracket that goes attacted to the upper arm, Now i had a set of 20x8.5 on my last 8G and i never had a problem with them hitting or rubbing, Is there a way i can get these to fit ASAP, Im not 100% positive on the offset of the rims but i did notice in the back a stamp that says ET45 which is what i was told thats the offset to the rims but im not 100% sure if its - or +, the rims i got just for reference are ( Pather 404c Paragon ), If someone can give me a hand id be very happy, i know im going to have to roll my fenders but what can i do to get these to fit, Id rather not try and go thru the mission having them dismounted and trying to find 4 brand new 225-35-20s.

Lower offset and slimmer tires (245 is wide for a +45 on our cars) should get you to fit. Spacers can help get you the clearance you need as well. Hope this helps.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

the thing is i did notice is that when i got the back tires on they hit the bracket in the back BUT the tires stuck out a little bit enough that if i roll the fenders they will fit perfectly, I remember my last 20s fit the same way but i think the tires played a huge part in them fitting, Now my biggest problem is trying to find 4 225-35-20s lol, the tires i got on the rims are brand new and i didnt buy them from a store i got them from someone local.

Yeah, tires can be the deciding factor since not all tires of the same width are actually the same width. My Falken 225's had a slight stretch compared to my Kumho 225's which were straight up and down, both on 8" wheels.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

i may end up having to either sell the rims or trade them for another set that will fit.

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    When I had 20s I ran 225/30/20 on stock height with no issues then I lowered it 2in all around only rubbed in the front the plastic guard

«Carlos»

It's the tires messing up your fitment. Either go with the 225 like everyone mentioned or go lower offset and shave your fenders. I'd personally change tires and sell the tires you have
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

I'm going to try and find 4 new or in good condition tires, my concern is the offset, will that offset fit my galant without spacers?

Yes. 20x8.5" +45 fits a 8G Galant. All cars are slightly different, and in some cases you may need to use a camber kit to allow for enough adjustment. However in my experience 20x8.5" with 225/30R20 should fit without much issue at all. You may have already read my previous long post on "Proper Tire Sizing". A 245/35R20 is 26.76" in overall height. That is almost 2" taller than the factory 195/65R15 (or 205/55R16), and will not fit no matter what the offset or wheel width.

Yea they do fit I just had to use a 3/8 inch spacers on all 4 tires Becuz I was getting a little but of rubbing on the front struts and on the back arms, but after the spacers I just had to roll the fenders and bingo, I do want to put a camber kit after I buy all new shocks and the lowering kit.

Pics

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!