The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2001, instrument cluster

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

2001, instrument cluster

Had my galant for almost a year, installed a system, halos, and did some custom painting on the interior. But I wanna change the cluster gauges to white...do I just buy the faceplates?? And how does the cluster come out to begin with? I dont want to break anything lol.

Seth

Yes, you want faceplates. And there are a few screws that hold the cluster shroud on. Remove those and the few screws for the cluster and unplug. Gauges are pretty easy to do. My S7 in my old car went in easy and I loved the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    Yes, you want faceplates. And there are a few screws that hold the cluster shroud on. Remove those and the few screws for the cluster and unplug. Gauges are pretty easy to do. My S7 in my old car went in easy and I loved the way it looked.
    What would you recommend? And what if I wanted to try color led bulbs for the cluster? Idk what kind they are

That's the choice your gonna have to make. Can't do overlays and bulbs.... or at least it wouldn't make sense to do both. As far as I know the eBay overlays are just fine. I think you need to get an inverter or something (someone correct me) to brighten them up. But there are a ton of links about both the overlays and the led bulbs. Hell, I think there is even a tut for both as well. Search around man.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Alright man im gunna get the white faceplates. Could I just install like blue led bulbs without messing with wiring or would I have to do wiring if I install anything brighter than the stock cluster bulbs?

You don't need to install colored bulbs. The numbers on the gauges light up. You should research what your asking first.

Yeah the numbers and hash marks on the stock gauge either black or white faceplates (makes no difference) will show the color of the bulb you have...and the stock bulbs are just plain white. Im talking about getting white faceplates and maybe installing blue led bulbs so the hash marks and numbers will be blue in the dark instead of white

OK... sounds like you got it all figured out then. Let me know how that works out for ya.

Let me try explaining it this way. Hopefully you get what I'm saying. There are two ways to do your gauges: overlay OR led bulbs. Changing the bulbs changes the color and brightness of stock bulbs. The overlay "lays over" (hence the name) the stock gauges making them not usable. The overlays produce their own light or glow depending on which one you get. So putting led bulbs in with an overlay is pointless cause the over lay will block out the numbers of the stock gauges. The only thing you could change is the needle colors. LOOK THROUGH THE FORUM USING THE SEARCH FEATURE! I'm not trying to be an ass. Just trying to help you from spending money your just gonna waste. Choose one, and go with it. Both options look great if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    Let me try explaining it this way. Hopefully you get what I'm saying. There are two ways to do your gauges: overlay OR led bulbs. Changing the bulbs changes the color and brightness of stock bulbs. The overlay "lays over" (hence the name) the stock gauges making them not usable. The overlays produce their own light or glow depending on which one you get. So putting led bulbs in with an overlay is pointless cause the over lay will block out the numbers of the stock gauges. The only thing you could change is the needle colors. LOOK THROUGH THE FORUM USING THE SEARCH FEATURE! I'm not trying to be an ass. Just trying to help you from spending money your just gonna waste. Choose one, and go with it. Both options look great if done correctly.

This!

Noob this over and over until it clicks. The overlays have their own light in the, they connect to power and light up. Your bulbs could all be burned behind the cluster and the overlays will still light up if connected yo power. The stock overlay has a blue film behind them sort of like a filter, so if you get 6000k leds you'll will end up with purple markers and numbers. In order to achieve the leds true color you have to use acetone to remove this powdery film from behind, its been done and documented, search brother or you will start getting negged and then good luck trying to get people to take you seriously.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

I dont know much about instrument clusters. Just figured id post it on the site to get some help is all. I got people in the other forum i made telling me my car sucks and its not worth anything and in here you guys arent being too nice either. Im a 20 year old just getting into cars. Just cut me a break. Im not a mechanic im just trying to learn shit about cars especially mine

bro u should read the thread again, blackdragon i trying to help u the best he can but its like u refuse to believe what hes saying, like everyone says google it or search it on the forum and be patient

and just a little advice since your new and all please please search before you start a new thread. these cars have bin around for aprox 15 years youre not doing something that hasnt bin done before :)

PS. welcome to TGC
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

No its not that its I dont know what hes saying. Im trying to see if you guys can help so I dont have to search cuz ill be on the web for hours. Id much rather ask someone about it. Do you guys understand what im trying to say tho how I want white faceplates instead lf the stock black ones? Both faceplates look Identical just ones black and ones white.

Quote Originally Posted by seth01galant View Post
    No its not that its I dont know what hes saying. Im trying to see if you guys can help so I dont have to search cuz ill be on the web for hours. Id much rather ask someone about it. Do you guys understand what im trying to say tho how I want white faceplates instead lf the stock black ones? Both faceplates look Identical just ones black and ones white.
    Such attitude on searching is not gonna win you any friends around here. Over the course of years, many people have contributed to the knowledge base we have here. It's taken lots of blood, sweat and tears to get this far, but at this point, nearly every question you could have about the US 8G has been asked and answered. Why should anyone donate their time and knowledge to you when a free resource is available to you?

"Your time is free to you; our time is not." Justin said this a while back and I love it because it's true. You must search; we all have, and will continue to do so. If it takes hours, it takes hours. It's a big website. That being said, I'll help out this once.

You might be thinking about the GTZ gauges that have the white face (actually it's silver). They look like this:

The problem is, they are V6 only. Your redline is different than ours. Also, they light up orange at night, so they have an orange film that you would have to remove to use any other color bulbs in the cluster.

Not only that, I'm not sure if the RPM gauge will work right with the I4. That's something you can search for.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Thank you. Sorry to you guys up further i just like talking to people directly to go help. Thats just how i am. Ill try to keep to myself unless i really need help with something. ll try searching for that GTZ gauge set too. Would you happen to know if theres a film on the ac/heat adjustment panel?

Btw this is what mine looks like got the car like this but my guess is that its some sort of ebay kit
    to conrol the dimmer of face i have secondary knob under the dash and the one on the instrument cluster it self controls only the needles..

USDM 2.4l 2001 8g not that that matters since its aftermarket but it gives u an idea
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

Quote Originally Posted by pernir View Post
    Btw this is what mine looks like got the car like this but my guess is that its some sort of ebay kit
    to conrol the dimmer of face i have secondary knob under the dash and the one on the instrument cluster it self controls only the needles..

USDM 2.4l 2001 8g not that that matters since its aftermarket but it gives u an idea
    Yeah man those look sick theyre the reverse glow gauges...I would get them I just dont want to put them in cuz I like the regular gauges I have. I just want the stock looking white plates. Would you happen to know what color the film is on the black and or white plates? Im just making sure that I like the color they glow when I get them