The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: white smoke after replacing bottom end

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

white smoke after replacing bottom end

ok TGC i had to replace my bottom end recently cause of bad rings and it was quicker for me to get another block than to wait for new rings and putting them in. anyways i got everything straight and i had a guy torque the head down for me while i was at work. he said he torqued the head down to 58lb-ft. The car runs and drives but when i sit still for awhile with car running and i go to lesve i see white smoke and the temp hand rises up some. well the only time i see the smoke is when the temp hand rises and if i rev the motor the hand will start to go down but of course i will see the smoke. I also see steam in the morning when i start it even when its warm outside. i also was a quart low on oil about a week ago and i just put the motor in bout three weeks before then i shouldnt be low on oil that quick right. what do you think could be happening TGC. thank you guys in advance

You might be burning coolant. Sounds like a man made error. I say this because you say it happens when the temperature rises meaning the cooling system pressure goes up and gets through to the cylunder.

Hows the coolant level?

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

sounds like he didn't torque the head bolts right to me.

to correctly torque the head down youve first gotta tighten NEW headbolts down to 58 ft lbs, then loosen all 10 completely. tighten to 15 ft lbs and then 90 degrees twice. sounds like he screwed up to me.

^^^ Handtight, is all you need bro Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    ^^^ Handtight, is all you need bro Lol!

wrong. tighten them till they snap, then back off a quarter turn!

Thanx guys the level was alright but the overflow tank was empty and i filled it couple days before i checked coolant

Ill make the bolts scream b4 i back off lol. Naw i shall follow torque sequence myself lol. MYSELF!!!!