The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: let me take you on a journey

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

let me take you on a journey

001 galant es at 104k miles this happens to me

Will be painting and slapping back on soon.

Used a piece of an exhaust tip that just so happens the smaller end fits perfectly into the hole left in the intake and the other side that's wider fit over the hole on the flange.

Yes flange will be ported out with bigger tb upgrade I've got about 2mm all the way around I can get rid of. The tubing was cut and grinded down smooth to a 3/4ths inch "vortex spacer" lol. The welds aren't the bestlooking ever but it's sealed and done thick enough that even the hulk him self canseparate. Mig welded btw.

Questions, precautions, or advice?

even did a nice deep clean everywhere a brush and paper towels can get to. 100k miles and this thing was NASTY

Never seen anyone repair one of those. Most folks go for the cast Outlander mani after the Galant one breaks. More performance to be had. But at least this one won't break, so kudos!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Never seen anyone repair one of those. Most folks go for the cast Outlander mani after the Galant one breaks. More performance to be had. But at least this one won't break, so kudos!
    That's one thing I don't see many people deciding to try out and this way was actually free for me and got me an excuse to drag a fellow New father out with me to try to experiment. I'm pretty much money tapped out because of kids, moving, mirage, and mini van so I decided to go this route. Couldn't hurt right?

We noticed there was no room at all to weld from the outside and welding from the inside ment air blockage. Even grinding it down seemed like a bad idea because I'd be back at square one. He had an exhaust tip waiting for me to put on the mirage but after seeing the pipe diameter was just ever so snug tight fit in the hole we decided to cut and use that. So. As you can see the tb flange sticks out further at 3/4ths an inch plus flange means my tb is an inch away from the manifold now (crossing my fingers for fitment).

The way the pipe is shaped as you can see the mouth welded to the flange is wider than the base going just inside the manifold kinda like one of those velocity stacks used on intakes so I'm kinda hoping it acts like a tiny one lol! Just gotta 60mm tb swap and port out the flange to match the neck and it should be complete. But I'll save that for later.

The outlander manifold does hold a lot of benefit but from what I'm crossing my fingers on is getting that benefit or close enough for the price of 0$.

Thoughts?

Free is the best price! I know all about being tapped out, and if nothing else it should be reliable now. I'm not sure of your TB options with the 4-cyl manifold, sorry.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

G72's tb. 55 to 60mm. Can port out the stock intake but with the taper it sorta kinda is like a funnel but that's just theory/joke

Why Is this thing so much harder to put it on than taking it off. Smh.

Update. Don't extend it that far lol. There's no play in the throttle cable at all and if you have a weak tb spring like mine it stays a hair bit more open. Having a custom bracket made soon so I can move the cable further in. Plus side is the throttle response is off the charts now! Hahaha don't mind me it's been a long day.

Last update. Took it to have the codes pulled and I'm no longer showing a p0300 code from a massive vacuum leak but I do have a possible exhaust leak around bank one. First time I actually went in ham on the galant since being fixed and holy ba geebers it's way better than I've ever had it before! All the things I did with the intake manifold was a HUGE plus +++. Take off is almost instant, the speed climb has gotten faster, and everything is much much more smoother.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Nice work. I did the same thing to mine after the 2nd one I put on cracked never had another problem with it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Exactly 2 months later and everything is holding up 100%! The drive wire finally broke in under the new stress so I dont have to pull out the gas pedal with my toes to get the tb to Shut at a light lol!

I'm 100% happy with this fix.