The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Starter replacement

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Starter replacement

Just wondering what everyone else is doing when they remove the starter for repair.

Are yall replaceing the whole starter or only replacing the solenoid? Also what brands are you using? It has crossed my mind to only replace the solenoid but then I wonder how long the starter will last.

2002 2.4 Galant Auto

The mounting bolts are 14mm.

Nowhere on this car will you find a 13mm or a 5/16 that was put there by mitsu.

To remove the heat shield use an 8mm and i belive a 14mm as well if its got the big heat shield that 8GB's have and to undo the power use a 12mm. Replace the whole starter, keep the 13mm handy because aftermarket starters use a 13mm on the solenoid post, or just save your 12mm nut and re-use it. Dont forget to disconnect the battery or 4th of july will come early for you under the hood of your car.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Lol @ 4th of July made that mistake once burnt a hole in an oil filter..
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post

Nowhere on this car will you find a 13mm or a 5/16 that was put there by mitsu.

To remove the heat shield use an 8mm and i belive a 14mm as well if its got the big heat shield that 8GB's have and to undo the power use a 12mm. Replace the whole starter, keep the 13mm handy because aftermarket starters use a 13mm on the solenoid post, or just save your 12mm nut and re-use it. Dont forget to disconnect the battery or 4th of july will come early for you under the hood of your car.

Thanks for the valueable info. Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy the whole starter from? Advance, Napa or Ebay? There is cheap ones on ebay and I thought about buying one of them and taking the ebay starter's solenoid off and installing it on my original starter and when it goes just install the ebay starter? Or buy a starter from Napa but I believe those are also remanufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    There is one... maybe two... one for sure. I can't remember where it is but what I can say is that you will find it when it is most inconvenient. It's somewhere under the dash.

^^^you mean the 13 and 5/16 right?

If so, I see what you did there...