The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Demond0d5 Daily Driven Project

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 219
    brembos came in the mail today...will hopefully get them painted this weekend although I know my wheels wont clear them...talking to a buddy about getting some new ones so we'll see ^.^ depends if he will do some trading for them or not

on a side note...will be cutting the bumpers apart this weekend so should get a really good idea of what it will look like when done! although this is my last weekend at home so will remain incomplete till winter time (damn school -_- )

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

need moar pics!
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

This is how I started the summer off...

And now the end of another summer so this is how she'll be for a little while...

ok for a real quick update:
    1) shift light is a work in progress...will post pics when it's actually done but getting close!
    2) picked up a new grill that's gonna get cut apart and put together courtesy of black8gv6
    3) ported/blasted upper and lower manifold courtesy of silvertune
    4) decided the SDS will be ran with a 20psi pulley and waste gated down to around 7psi, working on finding parts for that

You won't want to overdrive the SDS with a 20psi pulley and wastegate it down. The parasitic loss of spinning the SDS (which is really really heavy so it takes a ton of power to spin it) will literally be more than 7 psi will gain you in power. Especially since you're using power to compress all that air to 20 psi then venting it off, you'd literally be throwing power away. A guy on club3g way back in the day measured parasitic loss with nothing more than a stage 1 with the small V5 compressor at like 25whp. The loss raises exponentially the higher you pulley it.

For what it's worth a pampered 6g75 will outrun any form of stock block 3.0 and be way more reliable/simple. If that isn't your cup of tea and you're still set on doing a supercharger just run a stage 2 pulley on the blower with the factory crank pulley and you'll see all the boost your stock motor can handle.

Be warned though. Ripp does not service those superchargers anymore and the bearings do not last especially if the car is daily driven and or pulleyed way up. Any SDS units out there now have an expiration date and it would suck to go through the effort of putting one in only to have the bearings fail making all your work go to waste.

I/we hadn't thought about that part of overdriving it...thanks for bringing that up! has anyone ever looked into replacing parts on them with lighter/more efficient stuff that you know of?

I don't want to attempt an engine swap, not at my level of knowledge and being a DD...during the summers I get away with borrowing a vehicle to work and back for a few days max so a full swap would require taking off and that just cant happen =/

as far as getting it looked at I know a guy that works with blowers for a living, he offered to take a look and figure out what it takes to get it back to 100% and with this new knowledge I may see what we can do as far as throwing some lighter stuff in it too...pending what we turn up

I am not going to be doing the 20psi and waste gate right off the bat, that's sorta the end goal though...I know there is a lot between now and then. first I wanna get the thing in and running like 5psi just to make sure everything is working right then start going through and really working it over (probably once im out of school) and build something...probably talk with gearhead about the head work he did, looking up and talking with guys that have boosted 6g72, and maybe trying out my own stuff. g-spot said he hadn't heard of any successful gallants with the SDS in like 10 years so I'm bringing it back! I may not know much or be experienced yet but I am determined

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

That is why they haven't gated an SDS, 25 hp to drive what, 5 psi? How can you reduce the efficiency so bad with just a driveshaft? There are a few LS/Mod V8's around here running the procharger set ups and wastegating them down a few psi so they actually have an effective powerband, thus why I suggested it.

As for the bearings, I can't imagine they are a proprietary bearing, knowing ripp its an off the shelf piece from the cheapest supplier. Of course who knows if the supplier is still around.

Of course I think a 75 would make for a pretty effective daily set up for you man, a 75 and a little boost would go a long way.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    That is why they haven't gated an SDS, 25 hp to drive what, 5 psi? How can you reduce the efficiency so bad with just a driveshaft? There are a few LS/Mod V8's around here running the procharger set ups and wastegating them down a few psi so they actually have an effective powerband, thus why I suggested it.

As for the bearings, I can't imagine they are a proprietary bearing, knowing ripp its an off the shelf piece from the cheapest supplier. Of course who knows if the supplier is still around.

Of course I think a 75 would make for a pretty effective daily set up for you man, a 75 and a little boost would go a long way.
    You've never had an SDS shaft in your hands. The blower/shaft with the puny V5 on it weighs 52 pounds. It takes more to spin it than an Eaton M112. Why do you think people whine about belt slip problems even with proprietary tensioners that covered 80% of the pulley with belt when they're running all of 12 pounds? It's ridiculous. TRD makes a few superchargers that follow the same pattern as the SDS but they're hollow tube and much shorter and that's why those work compared to the SDS.

The highest output boosted stock block 3.8 made 300whp before it blew up. Nothing like a giant waste.

Really, supercharging a car is fifty times the headache of doing an engine swap. Sure the SDS mounts with three bolts but if you don't have to know how to get a motor in you don't have the know how to get an SDS to run correctly. Heck not a single V6 galant in history runs a rom capable of tuning for boost and enough 3g guys failed with stock ECU's and emanage in the past to make it a pretty bleak future. You can at least make 280whp with a 3.8 on the stock ECU, why make 250 with an SDS?

happened across this thread not long ago:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...=6g74+manifold
    haven't been too deep into it but sounds like after everything went in he was shooting for like 21psi or something on the blower before going turbo...will keep reading thru it and see what all he ran into.

I didn't think the sds was that heavy, although I haven't had it in my hands for like 6+ months so...anyway about this whole "stock block" talk...I am only stock for now, eventually I will start building once I'm out of school and have the time/money. I understand that an engine swap would be as beneficial, if not more in the long run, but I wanna give this a shot. it may not be a super crazy build, or something even worth it to the guys like you, but to me its something I think I can tackle and start making headway in. im not after the best and badest thing out there, just getting a foot hold into the world =D but I am glad you guys are giving input and pointing out the stuff people have gone wrong with in the past, itll help once I start working it over

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    You've never had an SDS shaft in your hands.
    I've had a lot of shafts in my hands

Grill is done. Happy I was able to keep the chrome look

If you have funds I could have StradaFab make that drive shaft out of Ti, plenty strong, plenty light, but you are looking at 400-500 bucks for a Ti driveshaft for it. Might have potential to really make that thing perform.

I will make a note of it and get ahold of ya once things start rolling on it. Will probably be tax time / sprig break / summer before I can do any huge purchases though. Plus I wanna take a look and see what exactly is soooo heavy about it ya know.

Think aluminum would be worth considering? Obviously titanium would be stronger but how strong does it really NEED to be??? If aluminum is half the cost and 80% as effective ya know...just gotta get around to looking into stuff. Going home this weekend so I'm gonna bring it back with me (and the rest of my stuff) so I can get a better idea of what all I have and need and etc

There is probably a good reason aluminum isn't used. If its steel there might be a gear machined into one end that will make this entirely more difficult. Also if there is any thick end that will need to be CNC'd or run on a lathe and internally threaded prices could rise dramatically. The cold rolled tubing is around $30 a foot, but when he makes frames things like the CNC'd head tube for the front forks, or the hub the swing arm attaches too get expensive. I'm talking $8000 for the 7 inch long 2.75" diameter bar stalk machined to fit.

Snapshot at the "new" cluster

Painted the manifolds and getting prepped for install in a few weeks

Got the headers in, immediately started taking sandpaper to my nice shiny new headers and painted them with a ceramic/silicon based paint to help with just prevention...now I'm working on getting them wrapped up, found a method that that covers almost everything and gets it pretty tight on there. Will end up spraying them with the same stuff again outside of the wrap to help hold it together and keep the heat in.

Here is a picture of everything I'm going to be starting next weekend:

Experienced TGC Member
    Nice blanket.

Ps. Im waiting for gauge cluster. Lol. Jk
    Looks good. Man
    Last edited by coconut; 11-17-2014 at 07:10 PM

Check the pics above, doesn't look too bad, just gotta do a little more work to block off the light from the rest of the gauge. Thinking something similar to what a camera lens cap looks like should work...it got put on hold since I need the car drivable next weekend XD may end up grabbing another cluster entirely at a pick n pull sometime if I can and doing it at my leisure

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast