The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help changing control arms

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Help changing control arms

Hello, I own a 2003 galant GTZ and my rear lower control arms need to be changed because they squeak when I go over bumps. I took a look at them but I am not sure how difficult the job is. Do I need to remove the stabilizer bar in order remove the arms, or can I just unscrew the three bolts and pull the arm out. Any help is appreciated thank you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-C...0cc656&vxp=mtr

this thing? there is only the 2 bolts iirc, one for the adjustment and one on the ball joint...the hardest part I had with it was the adjustment bolt was rusted solid into the bushing, broke the bolt head right off when I tried to break it loose (no pun intended)...had to cut the whole damn thing out! if your luck is like mine then it's a pain in the ass, if you're lucky and it comes loose easily then its not hard at all

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

I changed them no problem, but the noise is still there. I'm gonna look to the shocks as the next culprit. Thanks for the help

time for coilovers!!!

or bags

Experienced TGC Member
    Bags all the way!!!

You on bags too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes sir!! Rides nice and looks AWSOME!! Love it. But depends on what your plans are, track or daily. Mostly everything I've owned has been bagged or lifted. Full size trucks lifted and mini trucks and cars bagged. Live the looks of them when there tucking wheels and frame on the ground.My set up on the rear of the G is all custom, rear is bag over lower custom control arm and front is strut over bag.
    Last edited by coconut; 06-25-2014 at 10:17 PM

Nice to see another bagged galant on here! Was beginning to think I was the only one!!!

Experienced TGC Member
    Thought for a while i was the only one bagged also. Need some pics man!! What set up are you running ?

Here just check out my thread:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...Driven-Project

and feel free to post anything ya want on there or PM me

Experienced TGC Member
    What struts are you using on the your fronts?

No clue. The bags were on before I got the car. I have modified or changed or fixed everything else except the bags themselves

Experienced TGC Member
    Sits a lot lower than mine that's why I was asking. I like the lower look she has going on!! That's how I want my front to sit

Thanks =D
    When I slam it I lay frame (has her fair share of scratches too) on the front...I wish I could get the back to drop a little more but, with my subs, I'm already riding a higher psi than I want just to have a decent height

What's your camber like? I'm trying to find a way to stop killing tires :/

Experienced TGC Member
    My tires wear good. I have the the camber adjusters that mount on the upper control arm , goes between the control arm and body. My lower control arm is custom built and I can also adjust my Camder with it.i have some pics on my post when I first join I think. If not I can take some more pictures and hopefully can figure how to put them on here for you. I usually set my rear pressure @ 70psi and front @60psi when I'm rolling. That's the pressure I used when I did my alignment.

Ight I'll try and look up your stuff! I need an alignment because mine is fucked :/

I cruise at 65 front and 80 back but I want to be 65ish all around. When I put in my new subs they weigh so much I had to bump it up to keep the ride height decent ^.^ still rides decent though, not a Cadillac by any means but I've felt worse

Experienced TGC Member
    My trunk is heavy too with the subs,amps,compressors and tank plus a spare tire . She rides like a cadi!! Lol. How Is your a strut bag setup in the rear?
    Last edited by coconut; 06-29-2014 at 09:11 AM

I've got 100lbs in subs alone, not to mention the boxes XD Plus the tank and all that stuff :p

I honestly don't know anything about the bags, only all the other shit with the system. Probably tomorrow when I have a day off I'm going to jack up the car and do some poking around the transmission and will look then (if I remember)

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    i have some pics on my post when I first join I think.
    I found your post, ride is sick looking! I love it

after seeing your pics of the rear (IIRC) mine is nowhere near that. I think its the same setup as the front (with the bag on top). I might be able to get up on some jacks tomorrow and poke around (need to look at some trans stuff anyway) and will be working on the bumper too...gotta love a day off right???

Experienced TGC Member
    Thanks, she's my baby.