The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: plug wires!

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

plug wires!

ok I really don't know much about em so is there any reason I shouldn't get these?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/200994002993...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

the reason is they're on ebay, you have a V6 right? go to rockauto.com get NGK set for a few more dollars than the ebay ones
    5% Discount Code: F735655CEAF764 Expires: 07/04/2014 enter this code in the 'How Did You Hear about Us' box to receive discount.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

If you were attracted to this because it was red (NGK are blue) try these other well known brands:

Magnecor
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNECOR-SPA...a5ffb3&vxp=mtr

Nology
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOLOGY-HOTWI...9b036b&vxp=mtr

the red and the price were the most appealing parts...but I guess "pay to play" right...thanks fellas

Who cares about color. They're spark plug wires. NGK and OEM should be the only wires used by anybody who actually cares about quality.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

um...I do? some people like to make everything flow together and look nice...the most important part of anything is in the detail. the good news is it's my car so I get to make those decisions, you don't have to worry about it
    sorta like wheel gap, a few inches makes a huge different ^.^

but back to the question at hand, whats the difference between a "good" plug wire brand and a "bad" one? conductivity and resistance or what? I know a good deal about electrical so no worries about getting technical...

If you choose form over function, be my guest. I won't lose sleep over it. Instead, I'll just enjoy the piece of mind in knowing I made no compromises in terms of quality with my build. I only try to help others see value in doing the same thing.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    If you choose form over function, be my guest. I won't lose sleep over it. Instead, I'll just enjoy the piece of mind in knowing I made no compromises in terms of quality with my build. I only try to help others see value in doing the same thing.
    I can appreciate that, which is what brought me here in the first place. Rather than buying the first thing I found I asked, as with everything else I'm doing. Perhaps you could answer the second part of my response:

Quote Originally Posted by demond0d5 View Post
    but back to the question at hand, whats the difference between a "good" plug wire brand and a "bad" one?
    Otherwise it's hard to give validation to your input...I know your name, I've seen you all over the forums, and I believe you know what you're talking about but what is the difference? Explaining something is worth 1000x more than just telling someone :)

I would imagine that being wires its about the same as audio equipment, no? some brands are better than others but not because of the name on the package but the stuff inside...OFC high strand 4 awg wire can be better than some cheap 0 awg wires with oxygen all throughout and low strand count but if "stinger" and "brand x" have the exact same wire there is no need in going for the name brand...save $ and buy another part too...whats the difference in a "quality" brand like the ones g-spot listed versus ngk?
    Last edited by demond0d5; 06-05-2014 at 11:26 AM

The main difference with the ngk and the ones g-spot listed is the price.
    I personally have magnecore 8.5mm wires on my car and love em never had an issue yet, but I have heard of negative things about them, not as much as the nology wires though...
    Where as with the ngk wires I have never heard anything bad about them, aside from the color that is.

I don't know anything about the wires themselves, but I will say that I would get the ngk based on the quality and that price can't be beat. I only got my magnecores cause they were on sale at the time xD
    I also cannot justify the price for the nology wires ever thats way too much for damn plug wires imo. Just my .02
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

NGK's are unparalleled in quality. I've personally had issues with Standard Motor Products, Bosche and Magnecor and will never run a set by any of them ever again. NGK's are bust and if you're going to be a little bitch about color then have fun dealing with problems later on.

Quote Originally Posted by DEADEYES View Post
    I also cannot justify the price for the nology wires ever thats way too much for damn plug wires imo. Just my .02
    yeah no kidding, they are crazy much for plug wires...thanks for the input, nice to see positive stuff from time to time :) what sort of negative things?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    I've personally had issues with Standard Motor Products, Bosche and Magnecor and will never run a set by any of them ever again.
    what sort of problems have you had silvertune? just misfire or bad corrosion or whats up with them, why are they bad? that's what we keep going back to...

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Issue's I've had with plug wires, they can crack and leak spark, they can corrode and cause missfires, the big thing is the connectors on either end break off super easy on cheap wires, which is a total pain in the ass.

I know the NGK's are good, but I've had a set of Accel's for almost 10 years that I just finally replaced, with NGK's. The Accel's didn't let me down and held up to a whole lot of dis-assembly and reassembly, I simply replaced them due to age and I was a little worried they'd start cracking.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

The main comment I read is obviously the price, but I read through some threads about the nology sometime back that talked about them not producing solid spark with resistor plugs so then you have to use a non-resistor plug that means possible RFI interference, which normally a good plug wire with no gimmicks, NGK and Magnecore, suppress RFI signals pretty well from what I have read. Apparently nology wires aren't good at the supression. In fact I have non-resistor NGK BP6ES plugs in my car right now with the magnecor wires and haven't had a hiccup since installing them. Also the wires that were on my car before were old as shit and anything would have been an improvement. Either way stay away from the nology gimmick crap.

But like I said If the magnecores I have weren't on sale when I got them I wouldve got the NGK wires 100% of the time

Like Silvertune said, NGK is the best quality plug wires there are. Especially when you consider the price.

I understand why you are concerned about the color, but I would still grab up the NGK. If you want red go, Magnecore, but they are about twice the price and like i said i have heard negative things maybe Silvertune can chime in on his experience with em. You could always get black wire loom and cover up the ngk or something if you are that concerned about it.
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

don't get me wrong, im not arguing the quality of NGK...every thing I've ever heard around spark plugs/wires always revolves around NGK, universally known as the best...just curious what made a "bad" wire, taking the chance to learn ^.^ one thing I hate about reading through forums, and I've been doing a lot of it lately :( , is that everyone always says "no don't get that because I think they are bad" but never explains why! im glad we are getting down to the actual issues people have with them :)

thanks for the input fellas! I still wanna hear silvertune's input on good vs. bad because I think he is very knowledgeable (once he shares reasoning)

I've ran magnecor and ngk, both are fine. Just depends if u want to spend the extra money on it. If u find a deal on magnecors by all means get them. Oem ngks do the job at half the price just depends what you're willing to spend.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein