The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Add another to the "totaled" list....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 63

Add another to the "totaled" list....

Yep. She got sandwiched between an old Camry and a Ranger today. Parts & labor are likely going to outvalue the car. I'm going to fight for her but I don't think I stand a very good chance at this point. So when I know a little bit more about how the insurance company feels, I'll post whether or not I'm parting out/looking for another one, etc.
    Have some pictures of what a broken heart looks like.

Yay, my 100th post was about my car getting totaled....
    That's awesome...

More than fixable. Get your insurance money and buy it back dirt cheap, then revive. Trust me it'll feel good to have it back. Perhaps replace with nice jdm parts....

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    More than fixable. Get your insurance money and buy it back dirt cheap, then revive. Trust me it'll feel good to have it back. Perhaps replace with nice jdm parts....

That's ultimately what I'd like to do. However, I believe the chassis twisted a little bit. The rail at the front pushed back on the left side, I think, and I need to look a little more before I know for sure, but I'm pretty sure the whole thing is off, now. The dash used to fit perfectly in the spot it was given, but now it's very askew. Even if I did fix, it would probably never handle correctly again. I'll know more when I get a look at it again in the near future. It's just one of those things that made my day completely shit, and I'm 100% confident the worst news will be what I get. The problem with fixing it, is if they give me a good bit for it, I still have to actually get it done, and we can't afford to be down a car right now. We both live 20 minutes from where we work, in opposite directions. I could probably pull the frame out on the front and shove a new radiator assembly in there until I could afford otherwise, but looking at having the car down for any length of time is simply not an option. I'm losing a lot of money over the next few weeks because I'll have to be doing triple the driving.

The thing that bothers me the most is that it was hit at a dead stop (other car was going ~35ish) and not one airbag deployed. That worries me a lot, considering my girlfriend is currently daily driving this car. Well, she was...
    I've got a Duraflex pre-facelift VR4 bumper in the shed, and I'd really like to get that on, with some new 8GB USDM headlights and a modified grille, since those were both broken. Both fenders are bent, so there's a debate about whether or not to replace those with JDM/aftermarket, and the hood is garbage, so there's also the question of that. Factory parts can be had used fairly cheaply, but it all depends on whether or not it's anything major. If she can be saved, I want to do it, but according to a good friend who used to do claims adjustments, the front end will be quoted about $3k by itself, and that's just if nothing big is messed up. I'll still have to pay someone though, because I don't have a welder to fix it.
    She was so close to perfect before the accident, I would have nothing short of it after the accident. The only problem is if what they give me isn't enough. I don't have money to spend on it right now. I'm the guy in walmart buying toilet paper with pennies right now. Shit is super tight.

That sucks man. Hopefully they cut you a decent check!

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

The frame is clearly fucked. Let that one go.

Damn that sucks man, but id cut my losses and get that check.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Buy a cheap shell and take all the stuff you like a swap it over.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

always hurts seeing one go like that. hopefully you consider grabbing another one! looks like a few parts that can be salvaged
    Quote Originally Posted by [DC_eightG_00] View Post
    i dont know what face is better: the face you put when you say you drive a galant or the face when they see it is a galant lol
    CHRIS
    2000 Galant ES
    260thousand miles

FACEBOOK || TWITTER || INSTAGRAM

Man hate to see your car like that, but if you can remove whats possible and transfer to another 8g. I toaled my 240 which is how I ended up with my 8g. I didnt have any rear damage, but my front was worse than yours. Plus I ran up on a curb, so no telling what frame/suspension damage was done. I was actually hoping insurance would claim it a loss, beause I would never feel safe in it fixed.

Good luck though

This sucks to see. I'd definitely let it go though if you think the frame is twisted. The rear isn't too bad but the front end's gonna need work. Good luck, keep us posted. I know how these things are, I still miss my first G.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

That sucks to hear man. Hope everything comes out on the good end for ya.
    A man has an idea. The idea attracts others, like minded. The idea expands. The idea becomes the institution.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    That sucks man. Hopefully they cut you a decent check!

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    The frame is clearly fucked. Let that one go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SNWFLK View Post
    Damn that sucks man, but id cut my losses and get that check.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Celph Concepts View Post
    always hurts seeing one go like that. hopefully you consider grabbing another one! looks like a few parts that can be salvaged
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Man hate to see your car like that, but if you can remove whats possible and transfer to another 8g. I toaled my 240 which is how I ended up with my 8g. I didnt have any rear damage, but my front was worse than yours. Plus I ran up on a curb, so no telling what frame/suspension damage was done. I was actually hoping insurance would claim it a loss, beause I would never feel safe in it fixed.

Good luck though
    Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    This sucks to see. I'd definitely let it go though if you think the frame is twisted. The rear isn't too bad but the front end's gonna need work. Good luck, keep us posted. I know how these things are, I still miss my first G.
    Quote Originally Posted by XsinshineX View Post
    That sucks to hear man. Hope everything comes out on the good end for ya.

Thanks guys, I know it sucks to see one die, but I know in my heart it isn't going to be the same, so I'm going to buy her back and use the parts for another one, down the line. If I can find a super cheap one here, I'll pick it up, but my motor was due for a rebuild, and my trans wasn't that great, so unless I can find one with nothing but a shit interior (of which mine is fantastic) I'm looking for something that probably isn't there.

Thanks guys, I know it sucks to see one die, but I know in my heart it isn't going to be the same, so I'm going to buy her back and use the parts for another one, down the line. If I can find a super cheap one here, I'll pick it up, but my motor was due for a rebuild, and my trans wasn't that great, so unless I can find one with nothing but a shit interior (of which mine is fantastic) I'm looking for something that probably isn't there.

As it stands now, I'd love another V6 car, but what we really need is a 4 cylinder so it's better on gas. It just depends on what kind of check they want to cut, I might be looking at different platforms as well, but she'll sit in the back yard until I'm ready to resurrect one. Hopefully with everything taken care of we'll be able to afford dumping money into another car. It sucks, I JUST put new control arms and tires on it. Pisses me off. SO MUCH.
    Thanks for the words, guys. This car meant a lot to me. It's nice to see that even though I'm not on here a lot, you guys care.

4cyl isnt much better on gas, not worth the loss of pep a V6 has over 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    This! I just did it... Lemme know if you need anything. But if you decide to part out, lemme know. I could go for a road trip

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post

As it stands now, I'd love another V6 car, but what we really need is a 4 cylinder so it's better on gas. It just depends on what kind of check they want to cut, I might be looking at different platforms as well, but she'll sit in the back yard until I'm ready to resurrect one. Hopefully with everything taken care of we'll be able to afford dumping money into another car. It sucks, I JUST put new control arms and tires on it. Pisses me off. SO MUCH.
    Thanks for the words, guys. This car meant a lot to me. It's nice to see that even though I'm not on here a lot, you guys care.
    Well.... Buy one cheap and swap parts over. Get another V6 and use it for parts? All will be okay...
    -Andrew

I feel your pain!

I sooo feel your pain dude, check it out, my car has always been the most reliable thing in my life. Everybody has always given me a hard time about it.. " Don't touch Melinda 's car, she might flip" "its just a car" "its a GALANT, i dont get why u like that car so much", but I do.. I've had her for going on 11 years now, her only owner. Anyways, I had that infamous mitsubishi paint issue and she's been repainted a few times, the last time I had the shop take her completely down to melt and do it right. I picked her up on March 31st, u would never guess this was a ten yr old car, I even went and bought some add ons for when she came home like cold air, carpet kit, red plug wires the whole nine... well two days later I was driving to work and ONLY because I had made an appointment for the ding doctor to take care of one of her doors since they roll mobile. I ...YES I... ran a light and was plowed by a 2014 camry. I couldn't believe it. The world stopped. After I came around I jumped out and people thought I was nuts cuz after I saw the other driver standing there I just started bawling. Horrible feeling.
    I fought my insurance tooth and nail the entire month of april. I refuse to accept a total loss letter and demanded that the repair my car all I wanted was my car fixed. They refused and just kept upping their offer. We all know what these things blue book for.. i ended up getting 12,000.00 and damn right I bought her back. again everybody thinks I'm crazy my family's even pissed off at me about itbut I had to do it I was not happy with a salvage title but it is what it is if I'm never going to sell her anyways what does it matter really? Don't take

Mel, post some pics up of the rebuild, that way we can appreciate the car too
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Wait you got 12k for it?

That will turn my frown upside down.

I will absolutely do that. Im going down to the shop today to take a peek..

Well I got 8 for the car, and I had just added custom car coverage that maxed out at 3 the day I picked her up from the paint shop, which was two days before the accident. At least I had that going for me, lol. They came at me with a sorry offer of 4,900 the first round. I investigated their ACV (actual cash value) report and found it to have several discrepancies, like comparing my GTZ to a lower base model 4 cyl. with waaaay more miles than mine has, I only have 68,000 miles so I got credit for that. Second offer was 6,500 and I still refused raging that I wanted my car fixed, not totaled out. I demanded the car be parked at my house until we reached an agreement and then had my own estimators come out from different body shops. Not one quote was over 6,400. so I continued to fight. I demanded a certified appraiser come out and I was allotted a small amount for the extremely new-like appearance of my interior and engine compartment. They bumped it to 7,200. I looked into the insurance laws on http://www.insurance.gov and found that if you could provide any maintenance records, receipts, for all upkeep performed in the last 6 months prior to the accident proving your car was "well-maintained" and believe me I keep EVERYTHING, then your ACV increases as well. It took a little over a month and maybe they were just tired of dealing with me, but yes. final was 8,400.00 and then I handed over receipts for a few of my mods and received the other 3.

Moral of the story here, and yes there is one, lol, NEVER NEVER ACCEPT THE INSURANCE COMPANIES FIRST OFFER. They are a pain in the ass to deal with and their job is to pay you as little as possible and close the file out. It was a tough road but I am glad I stuck it out because it really was the best possible payout I could have received. It was very similar to the long drawn out battle I had with Mitsubishi motor corp when my paint began to fall off 1 year after purchasing my car, it sucked but in the end I won and until this wreck, I had lifetime paint warranty paid for by them. My G has been repainted 3 times, well it will be 4 now.

Isn't is odd though that the repair bill looks to be maxing out at 4,600.00 which is a far cry from the final ACV of 8,400. The ACV versus the cost to repair are supposed to determine the Total Loss, I don't see how that adds up. obviously insurance companies run a shady biz and you have to watch out for yourself in the long run because they pretend to be acting in your best interest but it is obvious whose best interest they are concerned with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast