The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 Galant GTZ oil

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

2003 Galant GTZ oil

Hello, I recently purchased a 2003 Galant GTZ. I got regular oil for my first oil change (the cheap 24.99 one) but one of my friends told me that it might need synthetic oil for the large engine. Should I get synthetic or is the regular oil fine?

How many miles and.is it a 4cly or v6

Sent from my LG-MS695 using Tapatalk 2
    daliy galant es 5 speed in the making

Conventional 5W-30 would be just fine.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

*GTZ is a V6

*V6 is not a large engine

*synthetic oil is not just for "large engines"

Like M-Rod states conventional 5w30 will be just fine as long as its done regularly you wont have any problems. Also even if your car has 200k miles 5w30 will be just fine, im tired of hearing the thick oil myth based milage.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Thick oil will kill these engines, not designed for it at all.

Going to synthetic won't hurt either, there are a bunch of stupid myths around going between synthetic and conventional, its all bs.

Just depends on what you want to do, just make sure to use a good filter (ie NOT FRAM)
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

I also have a 2003 GTZ. I have 120k on it. I've owned it since New. Have been using synthetics for a long time. Believe me, regardless of what others on this site may say, for performance, dependability and durability synthetics are the better choice. There's also many on this site who will tell you the GTZ is only a regular V6 8G with leather. That is so wrong. You can't even use regular 8G rear doors on a GTZ. There are differences that people on this site are unaware of. I don't even think many realize the GTZs were limited productions. Good luck and enjoy. It's a nice car. Take car of it.

Umm, we are talking about a Galant here. GTZ is nothing more than a badge and a few cosmetic details for the most part. The sway bar and springs are slightly different from the rest, but who cares? It gets replaced with superior aftermarket parts anyway.

And yes, you can use rear doors from any 8th gen Galant on a GTZ. All you would need to do is add the door cladding and match the appropriate window trim. It's not rocket science.

^ And don't forget the functional traction control module, but who cares, right? :)

But the rear doors are different part numbers at mitsu! Lol!

Mr. GtZ is blowing smoke again, I know that you love your car and you probably baby the hell out of it but there really isn't huge mechanical difference for the 8G getting the GTZ. It's not like a SVT Raptor and a regular 4x4 F150, theres much more to it. For the 8G between the GTZ and an LS V6 there are few differences but they don't set the cars entirely apart.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_vick View Post
    I also have a 2003 GTZ. I have 120k on it. I've owned it since New. Have been using synthetics for a long time. Believe me, regardless of what others on this site may say, for performance, dependability and durability synthetics are the better choice. There's also many on this site who will tell you the GTZ is only a regular V6 8G with leather. That is so wrong. You can't even use regular 8G rear doors on a GTZ. There are differences that people on this site are unaware of. I don't even think many realize the GTZs were limited productions. Good luck and enjoy. It's a nice car. Take car of it.
    I've been here almost 15 years. And other than the suspension there is no mechanical difference anywhere else in the vehicles. I am always happy to learn new things, so what else do you believe is different between LS V6 to GTZ?

Heres one for you Dave, the leather in the GTZ is made of the finest pregnant cambodian buffalo hide....

Facts: whenever something needs to be the "finest," it's gotta be Cambodian. First, D̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶C̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶l̶l̶e̶ "Puff Daddy" required only the finest breastmilks (his word) from a lactating Cambodian immigrant, now the GTZ only has Cambodian pregnant buffalo hides, which would, in fact, explain the outstanding quality of these seats.

Next family vacation: Cambodia!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    ^ And don't forget the functional traction control module, but who cares, right? :)
    Model year 2000 and up. The 1999 GTZ was not equipped with traction control.

Lol Greg! I knew someone would catch on!

And yes if its quality it must be Cambodian!

I'm shutting the studio down!

The 99's also comes dual piston brakes and slightly larger brake calipers than the rest.

LOL yall too much!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post

The 99's also comes dual piston brakes and slightly larger brake calipers than the rest.
    So did the 2000 Galants and Eclipses until May of 2000.