The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: best way to tape rear visor

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

best way to tape rear visor

Recently redid my rear visor with new tape..scotch extreme mounting by 3m. Supposedly holds 20lbs but I already have the upper corners trying to lift. I got the old tape off and cleaned the residue off with carb cleaner and then windex if im not mistaken. Then applied adhesion promoter on it by 3m for tape/vinyl wraps then 5 mins later the tape. Did the same steps for the window, only difference is the last step would be actual mounting.

The original tape that came on it held from june through last winter before lifting in one corner, and I would've thought it was weaker than this scotch smh. The center and bottom corners are firmly planted though.

Any suggestions or see any error in my steps?

Thanks

Hmm. I just used 3M Super Strength Molding Tape. Item number 03609. I only cleaned the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and stuck the visor on. After multiple instances on the track seeing speeds of around 140mph, it's still holding as strong as it did 3 years ago when I installed it.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

You can kick the adhesion promoter in the ass. Just clean the surface well and use 3M double sided tape. The key is to use a heat gun to get the tape nice and sticky. I once replaced a rear window and trying to the material off using this method was a challenge of its own.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah thats what I was wondering. I think it works on the glass but not the visor, because its mainly the visor lifting from the tape it seems

Heating will work on both sides of the tape.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah I think I might invest in a heat gun for situstions like this.

Thanks for the advice