The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Starter/Solenoid

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    pythonito

Starter/Solenoid

I'm having the following problem starting my car. If I turn the key (at a normal pace) the lights etc come on, and I hear a little relay click (its located in the fusebox next to where your left leg is while sitting in the drivers seat). From what I understand, I should also hear the solenoid click (I don't). Now, I'm trying to determine where in the hell the solenoid and starter are located. Any ideas? btw. Its a 94 galant sohc

:twisted: right side of the car under hte intake manifold next time it just clicks just tap on the starter with a metal rod or something :twisted:

pythonito

Might be wiring..

I shorted the terminal on the solenoid coming directly from the battery to the one that comes from the ignition and it tries to crank. Next I hooked up a voltmeter to the wire that connects to the solenoid (ignition one) and when I just turn the key (like a sane person who doesn't have problems starting their car) I get about 9 volts.. However, if I turn the key numerous times (like a madman does after their car won't start, you don't hear the solenoid kick in, or the starter try anything.) I can get it up to about 11.55 Volts. I could never get it above 12 volts though, and the car wouldn't start. I'm guessing the added resistance due to the voltmeter is preventing the car from starting even in madman mode. Next, I found that the wire (coming from ignition) has a connector right under the battery where it is joined. It looked a little corroded, so I cleaned it with some corrosion cleaner really good and tried again. Still no improvement. So I measured the resistance at the connector (The one from the ignition ) and when I would tried to start it was still hovering around 9 volts. (Of course madman mode would get it a little higher). I had trouble working my way back any closer to the ignition from that wire. Am I on the right track? Shouldn't this wire coming from ignition be pushing 12Vs to the solenoid?

Thanks for any and all help!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    heres a quick shortcut.............buy a new starter

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678