The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Heads on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    Manybrews, that'a exactly how I have it. Thanks
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ive done almost everything you can think of to a galant and eclipse, I know what im doin. If you dont understand what im sayin then ask nicely I get a bunch of ims and emails a day from tgc poeple askin for help, you can ask anyone here im there to share my experience and theories withem as long as they dont act like a dick if they dont understand what im sayin. Next time just calm down and instead of cursing in your reply just say "I dont think you understand what im tryin to say".
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ive done almost everything you can think of to a galant and eclipse, I know what im doin. Â*If you dont understand what im sayin then ask nicely I get a bunch of ims and emails a day from tgc poeple askin for help, you can ask anyone here im there to share my experience and theories withem as long as they dont act like a dick if they dont understand what im sayin. Â*Next time just calm down and instead of cursing in your reply just say "I dont think you understand what im tryin to say".</div>

Its 4:49 go get some sleep

Experienced TGC Member
    just got home...ill be up till 11am saturday...
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

I just got up, going down to put distributor on and finish this thing.

make sure the distributor is CORRECTLY at TDC, also.
    it could go in 180 degrees off, but there are two small timing marks on it, as well.

manybrews I lined up the marks on the distributor and it went right in, so i guess that the cam was also right ( it was just like the pic )

HERE IS THE F--K UP IF you look in the Chilton , page 3-42, figure 181 "Timing belt pulley alignment marks-2.4L engine"
    It shows the camshaft sprocket with the timing mark ( punch) at 9 o'clock
    HOW THE F--K CAN THAT BE RIGHT

(in the same pic it shows the timing mark for the crankshaft flange and the mark in the oil sprocket in their right places.)
    Why are they calling the punch on the camshaft sprocket
    the timing mark when in fact the timing mark is on the opposite side of that punch?

Someone plese, please look at that pic and tell me that I am not losing what's left of my f---g mind!

i have no idea what chiltons says, as they are about the worst information on the planet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have no idea what chiltons says, as they are about the worst information on the planet.</div>

Budy you ain't kidding. You said that if I turned the engine over by hand I couldn't do any dammage because I would've felt it and stoped. That's exactly what I thought also but I figured hell what do I know about interference engines, the last IC engine I overhauled was a monster 10 cylinder radial engine.
    But I did line up the timing according to that freeking pic in chilton and I am pretty sure that's what screwd up my valve train.
    I really wish somoene else would take a look at that damn pic and tell me if I am insane.
    It show the punch, which is a small dot on one of the sprocket spokes. its on the spoke opposite the timing mark , it shows this punch at 9 o'clok, and says that it should be aligned with the mark on the heads?
    I don't see no f--ing timing mark on the heads.
    If other people look at this pic and agree with me, I am writting to those a--holes at Chilton and sending them a bill for my repairs including labor.
    Maube we should also post a sticky to warn people about it. But like I said I wish others would look at it, maybe I am seeing it wrong.

Experienced TGC Member
    http://www.ecanfix.com/users/manualcd/gift...haul_spyder.pdf

Try taking a look at that. Its the 2.4l engine overhaul instructions from the manual cd which is suposed to be a direct scan from the factory manuals so that should have detailed CORRECT info.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Hey JIP that's exactly what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In this manual as well as in the pic that brews posted the timing mark is the notch in the camshaft sprocket and its a 12 o'clok as it should be.
    In the Chilton's page 3-42 fig 181 ( 2.L timing belt pulley alignment marks) it refers to the "punch" as the timing mark , it shows it aligned with some phantom " Timing mark ( on cylindr head)" , a direct quote, and they have it at 9 o'clok!!

I think that it is complete f----g BS!
    I used that diagram to set the belt the first time around and no wonder that I needed new god damned heads.
    If anyone has the pic to post it so that we can all look at it that would be great if not I'll hop over to Staples and get this thing scaned and post it...probably on Monday though.

PS Did i tell you what a great help you are ;-)

So I put timing belt and everything else back on, and it ran fine, but had a small leak comming out of oil pressure reg. Took accessories belts off and covers, to be able to put a soket on it, put some teflon on it tightened it back on and it stoped leaking.

Then I put it and evrything else back on and now I get a banging noise comming from somewhere behind the covers .
    I have no Idea what that could be, but I'll taqke it all off again tomorow to find out.

Hey JIP sorry about that particular posting.

Car running fine, some smoke from exhaust gasket, will get new one but the rest is running nice.
    Many thanks to Manybrews and Jip for posting the pages from the shop manual. If I had followed the pic. from Chilton like I did the first time I would have wrecked the valve train again, like I did the first time. :evil:
    I scanned the pic from Chilton and I want to post it so that others woun't get shafted...how do I post pics on this site?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12