The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Heads on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35

Heads on

So I got my rebuilt head back.
    I am goint to put it on this weakend.
    I was wondering if there's anything out of the ordinary that I should know about before I put them on?
    I really don't want to wreck the valave train again and have to get the head re- rebuilt :-)

Thanks
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

make sure the pistons are NOT at TDC when setting the head on.

Place #1 close to TDC (maybe a half in down the bore).
    Make sure your cam is approximately at its number one position.

and DONT crank the engine over without having the belt on the car!
    After the head is on, you will be safely able to rotate the crankshaft back up to TDC, BY HAND ONLY!
    thats about it.
    make sure you time the oil pump / balance shaft sprocket correctly, because theres more to it than just lining up the mark. The oil pump sprocket is gears on a 2 to 1 reduction. If you get it wrong, the balance shaft will actually add vibration, not eliminate it.

Hey manybrews how you been .

Ok cool I had no idea about pulling the pistons down a bit, I was really wondering if I should do that.

About the cam how do I know if its at no 1 position?

The oil pump you mean stick the screw driver in the plug to make sure that the cam is on the bottom right?

Experienced TGC Member
    Why do you have to pull the pistons down a bit if your gonna have to crank it back up to tdc anyway to put the belt on?

And Jiul make sure you use new head bolts dont re-use your old ones. A new headgasket would also be a good idea.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

actually, you can safely reuse the head bolts, provided they are within acceptable limits.

However, you obviously DO need to replace the head gasket.

And yes, i was referring to the "screwdriver trick" in reference to the timing of the oil pump / balance shaft.

As far as the cam goes, make sure the dowel pin is at about 12:00 o-clock.
    there is an actual mark on the cam and valve cover, but you cant line them up until the valve cover is installed, so go with the dowel pin at 12 oclock as a good guesstimate.

Thanks manybrews
    I just went downstaris and saw the pin on the heads its not at 12 but about 11, I'll move it up.

Whats going on Jip, I'll measure the bolts tomorrow, but the car suppposedly only has 35K miles so I think they should be ok.

And yeah I bought a head set.

Should I throw some oil or other lubricant on these heads before I put them on?

if theyve been properly rebuilt by a quality machine shop, they should already be prelubed where they need to be (the cam journals).
    if not, yes, use some type of assembly lube.

Hey guys how do measure the head bolts?

Do you measure the entire bolt from one end to the other?
    Or do you measure from just below the bolt cap to the end, another words just the shaft?

Hey Manybews, I put on the camshaft sprocket, with the nipple @ 12 like you said. the thing is that the timing mark on the sprocket is now at 6 o'clock. The timing bump on the head is , as you know , at about 9 o'clock? Do I rotate the sprocket? None of the pistons are @TDC, I left about 1/2 inch off the top so I guess I can rotate it no?

Experienced TGC Member
    Well your uposed to line up the timing marks. For things like cams its possible to line them up and be 180 out of phase thats why u use that nipple in the center as a guide, when its point at 12 on the clock then you line up the marks on the gears and your good to go. So when you line up the timing marks on the crank your pistons will be at tdc, also keep the marks on the head lined up and you shouldnt be hitting ur valves since the timing marks keep things in sync.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Jip, OK, so I can rotate the cam sprocket about one quarter turn to line up the timing dot on the camshaft sprocket with that potrussion on the heads, without the belt on?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>Jip, OK, Â*so I can rotate the cam sprocket about one quarter turn to line up the timing dot on the camshaft sprocket with that potrussion on the heads, without the belt on?</div>

I believe when you drop the head on you should have the mark as close to the timing mark as possible. This way you arent cranking the cam over completely to make a new set of valves open, your just adjusting very slightly to get the mark to line up and this shouldnt interfere with anything if you have the crank timing mark lined up.

Better double check with some people to make sure..
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>Jip, OK, Â*so I can rotate the cam sprocket about one quarter turn to line up the timing dot on the camshaft sprocket with that potrussion on the heads, without the belt on?</div>

I believe when you drop the head on you should have the mark as close to the timing mark as possible. This way you arent cranking the cam over completely to make a new set of valves open, your just adjusting very slightly to get the mark to line up and this shouldnt interfere with anything if you have the crank timing mark lined up.

Better double check with some people to make sure..</div>

Jip, buddy, first you say the pin should be at 12 and now you say that you believe the mark should be as close to the mark on the head as possible when you drop the head on.
    I put the pin at 12 and that puts the sprocket timing mark at 6. Thats the problem.
    To get the sprocket timing mark aligned with the timing bump on the cylinder head which is at 9 I have to turn the cam shaft sprocket one quarter of a turn clockwise...
    Can I do that without wrecking the valve train.
    Am I doing something wrong?

Experienced TGC Member
    The pin is NOT the timing mark that is suposed to be lined up.

Dude, let a mechanic do this.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

JIP WTF are you talking about ?
    Who the f..... said the pin is the timing mark?Point that out to me in any post that I wrote and I'll eat the god damned puter.
    I was very clear in my question .
    I said that the pin is at 12 , aligned with the mark on the damned valve cover that Manybrews was talking about as is the notch on the perimeter of the camshaft sprocket. ( none of these is the f---g timing mark)
    This puts the timing mark , the timing punch , at 6 o'clock. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ?
    My question to Brews was that if its safe to rotate the camshaft sprocket .
    It probably is.
    If you look back a few posts Manybrews suggested that I make sure that the pistons at least 1/2 inch below TDC ( you actually threw a wisecrack at that remark) Now I know why that is; so i can move the god damned sprocket without any god damned interference.
    You have just posted four god damned posts that say nothing but god damned none sense.
    Now you get on here and tell me to let a mechanic do this. WTF?
    "I don't know" is a very nice sentence, beats the hell out posting four or five BS posts about shit you don't know!

Jip maybe to clarify your confussion, go look at a camshaft sprocket. See where the pin hole is Vs the timing punch.
    They are in line, diametrically oppsed. If one is at 12 the other is at 6 and vice versa. Get it? Hell at least that's what I have on my f--g sprocket!!!!!

Experienced TGC Member
    calm down buddy remember which one of us cranked the engine without the timing belt on and got in this mess in the frist place.

And how isl asking manybrews why you should lower the pistons a wise crack?

For all the dumb questions you ask you should not being performing this job on your own because obviously you dont know how to do it. So if you want to yell at me when I'm tryin to help, you fine be a dick and when you post up that your new head exploded on you, dont be surprised when I post up laughing my ass off.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>calm down buddy remember which one of us cranked the engine without the timing belt on and got in this mess in the frist place.

And how isl asking manybrews why you should lower the pistons a wise crack?

For all the dumb questions you ask you should not being performing this job on your own because obviously you dont know how to do it. Â*So if you want to yell at me when I'm tryin to help, you fine be a dick and when you post up that your new head exploded on you, dont be surprised when I post up laughing my ass off.</div>

If asking dumb questions is a sin then I am guilty.
    But posting idiotic answers and giving erroneous advice is even worse.
    I have no intrest in getting into a pissing contest with you.
    Just admit to yourself that maybe there are some things that you have no clue about, to remedy that maybe you should ask questions... not post nonesense.
    Did you ever take the heads of a car and put them back? No. Then what the f--k makes you an expert?

man, im not sure exactly what youre asking.
    Heres a pic.. although its not of a 7th gen, it should be nearly identical.

The dowel pin is NOT the timing mark, but its usually a good point of reference. Meaning the dowel at 12 o clock is usually TDC for a mitsu (note that the actual timing mark is directly above the dowel pin in the photo).

If the cam is at TDC, you do NOT EVER turn the engine over. One of the pistons WILL eventually make contact with a valve.
    However, if your doing it by hand, there is little chance of you doing any real damage, as you will feel the contact between the two parts right away (as you rotate the crankshaft, that is).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast