The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Soo this happen to me today...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35

Soo this happen to me today...

I was driving back home from work and i had my younger brother in the car, thought i would show him how the car handles now and took a corner a little faster than i normally would, bang!clank clank clank.....

I don't think i did anything major besides destroying the cv axle, going to be tearing it apart in a min so i will see the damages done

Damn...wish you a speedy recovery

Wtf! That joint needs to expand quite a bit for it to pop out like that, are you sure it was in there correctly to begin with?

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Well i'm blaming this as part of the problem, but i knew i had bad cv boot's when i put the D2's on.
    also What size socket is the hub nut? my haynes book doesn't list it's size, every bolt, rust rust rust

This happen last week on install ( driver side in image ) , but i never imagined that the axle would come apart like it did

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    I think it's like a 32mm or something? I can't recall off the top of my head but obviously it's huge. It still shouldn't pop out, even with torn boots. Those boots aren't really holding the two halves together, more just keeping the grease where it needs to be.

Its a 32mm

Well i am having one hell of a time with this axle, the hub nut came after putting fire to it and a breaker bar/pipe combo, but the axle just refuses to slide out and the only thing left to try is heat it up also.
    oh and whatever that sensor is (abs?), didn't want to come out, but if it is abs i was planning on deleting the system anyways.
    my 95 sol didn't have this much rust

Don't mushroom the axle anymore or it won't come out...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

You might need to just rent an axle puller/remover. Autozone should have it, and I believe they loan to you for free. You just need to pay a deposit. I would say let it soak for awhile in some kind of solvent, like WD-40 or PB Blaster but from the picture it looks like you have already done that.

Thanks for the responses btw
    @beam, so funny cause i just got back from O'reilly's and picking up my axle, right there in my face was the axle puller for loan, so giving that a go tomorrow.
    Also ordering new toe arms and 1 new ball joint for now and then taking care of driver side asap.
    Can anyone confirm for me that the sensor was just abs? the new axle has no abs anyways.

Last edited by 1904Galant; 08-05-2014 at 11:26 PM

That is the ABS sensor. You will not free that axle though, it simply doesn't happen. Go get a junk yard knuckle and a new hub and start over.

^^^ That.

Last time I mushroomed an axle like that without it budging I ended up with tossing the whole assembly and starting with new hubs and yard knuckles.

Give oreillys their cores frozen to the hubs lol!

Acetone and powersteering fluid 50/50 will get it loose. Shake it before you spray it on, wait half hr, another coat wait then try it. It will amaze you

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Acetone and powersteering fluid 50/50 will get it loose. Shake it before you spray it on, wait half hr, another coat wait then try it. It will amaze you

I've tried that stuff on like 8 axles and not a single one budged. Even when heated and/or leaving it on there for a few days.

I've gotten two apart ever and I did it by grinding the entire axle cup and threaded section to dust so that the only thing remaining was the 2.5 inches of spline that are literally inside the hub. At that point I took a 4 pound sledge and pounded and heated, pounded and heated and only did they pop once I began to melt the hub itself deeming all but useless in the end anyway. Only reason I went through the work is because finding 2g rear hubs doesn't happen anymore but for something that is common enough in yards I wouldn't even think about it.

the Hub puller/remover was a fail.. sooo $30, 1 bent press and 3 machine shops later..

Now i'm working on getting the old housing off, nothing goes as the book says (no surprise) any tips for removal? can only get up off the ground so far with just my jack
    Last edited by 1904Galant; 08-06-2014 at 08:02 PM

I've always had access to a lift and stuck a prybar up there.

You could use a slide hammer, oreillys rents it.

the $30 was for the hub puller? It's just a deposit right? If you were a bit closer to me I would try to come help you

The machine shop cost me $30, tool was on loan so it didn't cost anything, now i'm just running into problems with the piece of cv axle that is left behind, tried a few different things but still have not got any of the spline exposed yet, and limited on space under the car.

Well desperate times calls for desperate measures, if i didn't have the property management hounding me about my car being worked on so for long (your not supposed to work on your vehicles here) but i have gotten away with it doing only minor stuff and splitting the coilover's install into 2 days

No doubt the bearings need replacing now(anyone have a part # on this?) on the half axle, but even on the vise i'm not getting any movement on the damn thing.
    Last edited by 1904Galant; 08-07-2014 at 06:14 PM

it's in there by a snap ring, just gotta find the sweet spot, I had tire kingdom bang on it for an hour with an air hammer, I was there watching them. Your bearing should be fine, just put a new axle on it. The half shaft is pressed into the bearing.

EDIT: when you did the coilover install, did you support the front knuckle when you took the strut out?
    Last edited by Black8GV6; 08-07-2014 at 08:25 PM
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast