The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oil leak inside timing belt cover. lookinf for seal savers

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

oil leak inside timing belt cover. lookinf for seal savers

my water pump went out back in january. i also had a minor leak. so everything has less than 1500 miles

so i replaced:
    water pump
    timing belt (kit w/ tensioner and pully)
    camshaft seal
    crankshaft seal
    valve cover gaskets

it was fine for a month, than it began leaking a little oil(from the front around the timing belt) which i ignored because it had a minor leak before, but it got worse and now its leaking alot of oil (about a quart in 2 days)

so i opened up( without removing the timing belt) and i found the inside of the timing cover was covered in a thin layer of oil and fresh thin layer of oil cover the entire area of the water pump/timing belt. but i looked at the seals and they looked fine(i cant really tell anyways everything was layered in oil lol)

so in denial, thinking it was a head gasket, i took it too my coworkers fathers auto shop to locate the leak. he told me that the crankshaft seal is leaking. and that i should replace the water pump and timing belt because the oil had contaminated both so theyre most likely to go bad.

now does this sound about right? do you guys think its the cam/crank seals?

i think this might be the case, and i also think i need seal savers for the cam/crank seals. the thin ones that get heated and place over the cam/crank.
    the problem is that I CANT FIND A PLACE/ DONT KNOW where to get them!

what should i look for around the seals to make sure its them that failed? where else could the leak be coming from? should i replace the timing belt and water pump like what was suggested? or are they still good? if i replace the belt is the tensioner ok to be used again or should i replace that too?

thanks guys any help would be appreciated!

Doing a seal search as well, try here
    http:// http://m.autopartswarehouse....=&No=80&Npp=10

If u replace everything 1500 miles ago. I will just clean belt. Water is not gonna matter cuz the important is inside block and pulleys run from outside.
    Now for seal it can be leaking from there is u at install push seal and tear a corner. Or the inside spring came off and not sealin tight. Or went in crooked.

Also u can look on the balancw shaft pulley the is a gasket behing tht. Also leaks. And perhaps a seal as well.

But i will just repair and change oil leaks issues. No need for replacing tbelt w/p nor tensioner.

Hope it helps.

Its possible to have sent In The seal too far.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

You may need to replace the seal under the special nut next to the oil pump sprocket. I replaced cam/crank seals multiple times then I finally had to use dye to find where my leak was coming from.

7g Dirt Racer- 95 Galant- 4g64,5speed swap, external coil, dohc swap, 60mm t.b., b.s., a.c., p.s. delete, battery relocate.
    7g Street- 94 Galant GS- 2.0 4g63t, awd conversion, auto swap, 98 gsx ecu, fmic, maft, bs delete.
    3g 00 eclipse gt 3.0 at