The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hola from San Antonio, Texas

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Icon6 Hola from San Antonio, Texas

I was excited to find the GTC about 3 weeks ago. I am the original owner of a 2006 Galant DE 2.4 with 177k miles. Have loved driving my car both in the city and for traveling. Unfortunately, my timing belt broke while driving and we are taking on the task of replacing it this weekend. Although this is my first Galant timing belt job, over the last 23 years, off and on, I have worked in the import automotive industry in a brick and mortar mechanics shop and a 40 acre salvage yard working various jobs. That being said...I am not a certified mechanic and most people might refer to me as having just enough knowledge to be dangerous. While I am well versed in writing a service order and ordering the parts correctly, my actual hands on experience has entailed more of a pick and pull as needed working in the salvage industry. Thankfully I have a patient and willing victim/friend that is a great mechanic and is willing to entertain me doing this job with him. I gratefully and thankfully look forward to any advice and information that will help us successfully put my baby back on the road.

Welcome!

Good to see someone from San Antonio, where abouts do you live?
    I live on the NW side just outside of Leon Valley.
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

Hi there...I live over on the south side. Thanks for the welcome.

Cool deal! keep us updated on the progress of your g.... also pics!
    1994 Galant GS - Daily driver
    1994 Galant LS - Parts car

Garage: http://www.thegalantcenter.org/garag...iew-20241.html

Welcome! Good luck getting her back on the road in short order!

Welcome to TGC!

I must ask, since I didn't see anything about it in your post, will you guys be checking for bent valves? These engines are interference engines and as such, except at idle on some very special occasions, a snapped timing belt almost always guarantees valve damage. Click this link and read the last two posts on that page for sound advice from two trusted Mitsu engine gurus on how to quickly check for bent valves. If so, you will need new valves and a valve job or a new head if that's quicker and easier for you since you have access to a salvage yard. No sense in doing a full timing belt without knowing if you need to address the bent valves first.

Hope this helps, and welcome!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member
    ^ well said.

Welcome

Hi All.....Thanks for the welcome messages and the reply suggestions. A Big thank you to wetamup2k3g, you hit the nail on the head. I appreciate the link to follow and will most likely be back with more questions after I share my new info with friend.

Anything to help!

Now, where are the pics of your car?

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"