The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HIDs in Halogen Reflectors Housings Vs Halogen Projector Housings

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

HIDs in Halogen Reflectors Housings Vs Halogen Projector Housings

Now I know obviously both shouldn't be used but if a decision had to be made which is the better option and why?

I have HIDS in my JDM heads on my galant, and I have hids in my eclipse with halogen projectors. The eclipse light output sucks compared to the hid on the galant, and they are all the same output 6000k. Now personally I like the heads better on the galant and if they are adjusted right you won't blind people coming head on to you. Projectors are nice, because of the cutoff point with makes it nice, and it limits you light output because of the cutoff, so you can effectively broadcast or spread the light pattern out farther out with out the height increasing like hids in reg headlights IF THEY ARE MADE FOR HID, if they are halogen projectors its pretty much useless lol(think highs versus lows) hopefully that makes sense lol. I do know that an HID lens is shaped differently compared to halogen lens for focusing the light output LUMENS, and hids put out alot more LUMENS then halogens.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

So you vote reg headlights over halogen projectors right? I was wanting the ebay projectors and was going to put hid kit in but they are halogen projectors...seeing as I have hids in my standard heads now was trying to see which is better

yes
    but you can retro fit your current headlights with an HID projector lens but I can't remember the name

CALLING ALEX!

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    yes
    but you can retro fit your current headlights with an HID projector lens but I can't remember the name

CALLING ALEX!
    How dare you forget my forum name lol

There is a tutorial on here using the morimoto projectors. There is a lil more to it. I decided to go a different path.

Check out project Bodega beige and u will see the pics of what I have been working on.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Ya Ive seen and read plenty on retrofitting...just wanted to get a discussion on comparing the two halogen housings with HIDs

halogen projector with HIDs are better than non HIDs, there has been a debate about this before. but the best to do is an HID projector. there are budget/lower quality ones you can buy.

check out theretrofitsource.com and see their clearance section. look for the MH1 projector stock b in there. those require the least hacking to get them mounted vs the other projectors.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

So you are saying that HID in halogen projectors are better than Halogen bulbs in Halogen Projectors... but what about HIDs in standard reflector heads comlared to in Halogen Projector heads?

It really all comes down to what halogen projector it is. They're not all the same. There are people that say HIDs in a halogen projector us danger cuz it has a distorted output and some say it's better than halogen bulbs. I think if they came with halogen bulbs then there is a reason for it and leave it alone. Do it right and do it once.

As Jared have mentioned HIDs in the Jdm headlights properly adjusted is a good alternative. Some lighting guru's are completely anti that and will chew your ass if u tell then that's what u want to do.

I ran HIDs in stock headlight housing for years. Adjusted it down a bit so I don't blind oncoming traffic and it was fine.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Gotcha...thanks for your input

You know I wonder how bad glare is because ever since my last car which also used h4, I always got hid kits/bulbs that had glare shields. I might have gotten flashed at a few times in my old car (s14), but never once in the galant. And I've had 10k,8k,6k bulbs before, and if there's no rain tommorow, 5k bulbs are going in. I just recently bought them.

I can say the s14 headlights didn't have the chrome dome over the bulb like the G, which I now wonder if that reduces some possible glare. Not saying thats its purpose or anything
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 08-18-2014 at 09:59 PM

Ya I kinda feel its over exaggerated or maybe we have just gotten used to hids as drivers over time because now everyone has HIDs and not once have I ever felt blinded by oncoming traffic...and I live off a long dark backroad to get to my apartment with cars going both ways on a two lane

Exactly..raised trucks with halogens blind me more than anything.. and some projectors are annoying like bikes because it looks like the lights are flashing when they hit dips in the road. I noticed that on a friends integra once