The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 235/40r18?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

235/40r18?

I have a 2003 Galant that is in desperate need of alignment and new front tires. As I was browsing Craigslist, I found a set of 18's and new tires for cheap (guy owns a tire shop in Cleveland). Problem is the tire size is 235/40r18 and I don't know the offset. I've been using the search button and I know what's recommended is 225/40. These are just such a good deal (pretty much what I'd pay for two new 15 inch tires mounted and balanced) I'm leary about passing on these.
    I know it's probably not much help without knowing the offset, but what am I looking at here? Would they rub? What would the offset need to be?

depending on the rim it would have to be around +35. id do a fender roll anyway since the rear lip is a little excessive. are you lowered at all? coilovers or springs? another thing you can do is search the brand and model of wheel and see what offset is available for the size/lug pattern.
    Last edited by kylecanthurdle; 08-26-2014 at 08:41 PM

Haven't lowered yet. Was planning on doing lowering springs and new struts after this coming winter.

235 is fine. the difference is 1cm. In fact some company's 225 are as wide as another company's 235. The offset of the wheel is more of a factor if your wheels are going to rub.

The reason why 225 is recommended because it will keep the speedo closer to stock. By putting on 235's, if your speedo is reading 60 mph, then you are really traveling 61mph. The difference is tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    235 is fine. the difference is 1cm. In fact some company's 225 are as wide as another company's 235. The offset of the wheel is more of a factor if your wheels are going to rub.

The reason why 225 is recommended because it will keep the speedo closer to stock. By putting on 235's, if your speedo is reading 60 mph, then you are really traveling 61mph. The difference is tolerable.
    And that's assuming the speedo was accurate to begin with. Most cars over estimate speed.

I was on 235/40/18 Kumho ASX in the pic in my sig. It rubbed every so often, most likely due to the ridiculously high (+48) offset on my G-Games.
    Last edited by Blue8g; 08-29-2014 at 07:05 PM

Went with a 235/45-17 setup instead. No rub.

How did you get a 17" tire on a 18" lol?

Didn't buy the 18's.
    Bought a set of 17's instead.
    Lol.

I'm rocking 235/40/17's and I am bagged...slight fender roll but I also lay frame and don't touch...you should be fine with those 17's for anything you're doing

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!