The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 2003 Silver GTZ - Kouki Vr4, 6g75 MT build

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Showing results 221 to 240 of 288
    This Monday:

Retrospective:

After sitting on this engine for years, decided it's time to pull it out of the corner of the garage. I kind of want to find a beater before I pull the engine from '03, but in the meantime I'll get it ready and finish what I started 7 years ago - not kidding. This 3.8 came out of a 2005 Galant GTS with 55k miles on it. Back in the day I ripped it apart, cleaned it up, repainted the block and such. Inside looked great. Bolted the heads back, new gasket, bolts etc., and it's been sitting on the stand ever since. Still going to be a slow process, but I also have a slightly different goal with this build: I have a 6 years old now, who has gasoline in his blood: it's a shared project. If I show him a part, he can now locate it in the FSM and tell me the torque specs for the the bolts. So nothing that hasn't been done before, but lot's of pics as usual.

3L Donors chilling...

8g crank sprocket/trigger wheel/sensor from the 2002. Will use the 8g dizzy as well, but wouldn't mind utilizing the 9g COP setup down the road - need to research.

Found a new use for the fender roller - took it apart and bolted it to my go to tool - and now I have the perfect cam gear tool for the fidanzas.

I debated it for a while, but in the end I decided the fidanzas over the oem gears just because I had them already and they are lighter by a hair. I replaced the junk bolts back in the day - if I were to do it again, I'd even use allen heads.

New timing kit, waterpump etc of course.

The other end of my favorite tool is a crank pulley holder tool btw :) Just for fun I weighted both the 72 and 75 pulleys and there is a 1lb difference. Makes me think while not a whopping weight saving that you would get from an aluminum pulley, but this is also dampened, so it could be a basic upgrade for a 6g72.

Random wheel-whoring shot.

Ditched the 75 power steering brackets - 74 upper, 72 lower, 72 pump used.

Retained the 75 lower timing cover - the ps belt is running right across the timing marks now, so I chopped it off and patched the hole with an aluminum plate. I might grab a 74 cover if I make it to the yard any time soon. Also used the 72 side mount engine bracket.

Started to play with the lower mani setup - I think I have too many of these laying around. From the top to the bottom: stock 75 setup, 6g73 lower with Diamante rails, 3sx loop, 440cc bosch injectors (my old 72 setup), stock 72 setup and new 74 lower on the left. Goal is to get it running on the 75 injectors than maybe switch to 440cc wrx ones. For now mounted the injectors, rails, an fittings - waiting for a new loop. Sidenote: the felpro o-rings that came with my gasket kit are junk imho, rather surprising as I always use felpro on just about everything and they were always good quality so far. Sticking with factory o-rings this time.

And, that's it for today, will go on with the other side tomorrow - AC, alternator etc., and some other stuff.
    Last edited by gtx; 09-28-2017 at 02:04 AM

Nice father and son project!

8g crank sprocket/trigger wheel/sensor from the 2002. Will use the 8g dizzy as well, but wouldn't mind utilizing the 9g COP setup down the road - need to research.
    You will need the Montero ECM/PCM and overlay three wires for the use of the COP. Tractix 2.0 for tuning.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    You will need the Montero ECM/PCM and overlay three wires for the use of the COP. Tractix 2.0 for tuning.
    Could you expand upon this if possible, or maybe post a link to a thread? The cop setup has been something that has been frustrating me for a long time. I hate knowing it's out there and not being able to use it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    Nice father and son project!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    Great info, I also saw the thread on club3g - adding the ECU to my junkyard shopping list.

I love your Evo BBS. One of my favorite wheels for the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    I love your Evo BBS. One of my favorite wheels for the platform.
    Thanks!

Just started following this build. Wow. Very nice car, so we'll kept. I love it, keep it up!
    1997 Mirage DOHC NA 4G64
    2003 Galant SOHC 4G64

^Thanks!

So I was going to post this long update on the engine, as short of the headers needing to be modified it's pretty much ready to go in, but than this guy showed up:

Viento / VRG /GLS whatever bumper. Kind of wanted a Vr4 rear like I used to have on '01, but was also curious just how much shorter this bumper is. And I love it. Since it will not mate up to the Vr4 extensions, I still want to add a lip to it. Can anyone decode the JDM sticker on top btw?

Saying goodbye to the bookshelf...

... and bringing sexy back:

Had to modify the exhaust cutout, and I will need to bring back in the muffler, but really happy with it for now. Will be back with an engine update soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    ^Thanks!

So I was going to post this long update on the engine, as short of the headers needing to be modified it's pretty much ready to go in, but than this guy showed up:

Viento / VRG /GLS whatever bumper. Kind of wanted a Vr4 rear like I used to have on '01, but was also curious just how much shorter this bumper is. And I love it. Since it will not mate up to the Vr4 extensions, I still want to add a lip to it. Can anyone decode the JDM sticker on top btw?

Saying goodbye to the bookshelf...

... and bringing sexy back:

Had to modify the exhaust cutout, and I will need to bring back in the muffler, but really happy with it for now. Will be back with an engine update soon as well.

My first bumper was a vrg and it was too short for my taste so I sold it and got the vr4 instead. Are you running no crash beam? I trimmed mine to make the bumper fit and I still never replaced it after I went with the vr4. Still half the thickness as the original one!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    My first bumper was a vrg and it was too short for my taste so I sold it and got the vr4 instead. Are you running no crash beam? I trimmed mine to make the bumper fit and I still never replaced it after I went with the vr4. Still half the thickness as the original one!
    No crashbar atm, honestly didn't even try to make it work - after two accidents, I consider them useless paperweights, especially on lowered cars. I really loved the Vr4 rear as well, especially because of how it flared out on the bottom, but I always thought that none of the factory rears go low enough anyways compared to the rest of the car with decent sideskirts -if that makes any sense - something I plan on overcoming on this one with a custom lip. My ultimate favorite is the old erebuni / cyber rear like what Censee has, maybe because the design is really borrowed form the EVO V - but I could never get myself to buy a fiberglass bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    No crashbar atm, honestly didn't even try to make it work - after two accidents, I consider them useless paperweights, especially on lowered cars. I really loved the Vr4 rear as well, especially because of how it flared out on the bottom, but I always thought that none of the factory rears go low enough anyways compared to the rest of the car with decent sideskirts -if that makes any sense - something I plan on overcoming on this one with a custom lip. My ultimate favorite is the old erebuni / cyber rear like what Censee has, maybe because the design is really borrowed form the EVO V - but I could never get myself to buy a fiberglass bumper.
    Screw fiberglass bumpers!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

That's sooooooooooo pretty, loving it, got to hunt one for mine's for sure lol

So is the difference between the normal international verison rear bumper and the vr4 rear bumper, is the lower part where the vr4 stuck out a little more and needs the extension to go all the way towards the rear wheels? looks like if I'm not getting the side skirts, it'll be kinda awkward to do the vr4 rear, and vrg is the way to go...... (correct me if I'm wrong :) )

Upper sticker: probably a souvenir from a Japanese shrine, have the meaning of Traffic Safety
    Lower sticker: Miyazaki Mitsubishi Motor

btw, does anyone knows if triggermauve is still able to find JDM parts? And is there any ways other than PM him on the forum can reach him? I see his last update was like early this year...
    Last edited by yhkwok; 11-08-2017 at 08:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by yhkwok View Post
    That's sooooooooooo pretty, loving it, got to hunt one for mine's for sure lol...
    Yes, you pretty much got it right. The Vr4 rear flares out on the bottom, and on the sides it's wider to flow with the rear extensions. It also has more depth to it. I agree, If you are not going to do sideskirts, I'd stay with the VrG rear. It also has those vents kinda of like the usdm rear but more pronounced, and of course a nicer exhaust exit. Here's a pic of it on my old Galant (extensions not installed):

Thanks for the translation on the decals, I love details like those.

Don't know about Trigger, haven't bought stuff from him for years. But keep an eye on ebay, they pop up there time to time. I really wish I could afford to go back home sometimes soon, I'd probably load up on world spec parts lol.
    Last edited by gtx; 11-08-2017 at 09:51 PM

maybe that's the angle, but even without the extension, it doesn't look that strange... still, I guess would prefer a rear like yours, clean and subtle

So you're not in the States now?

Quote Originally Posted by yhkwok View Post
    maybe that's the angle, but even without the extension, it doesn't look that strange... still, I guess would prefer a rear like yours, clean and subtle
    So you're not in the States now?
    I am - but I was born in Europe.

I see, especially after we have seen so much of the world spec in Europe (or for me in Hong Kong), we know the how good looking these Galants could become :)

Never seem to have enough time to go as fast as I'd like to, but made some more progress before the engine goes in: for one, moved the battery to the trunk. Now I know probably like a million people have done this before me, but I never seen proper pics how to run it in a Galant, so here goes my contribution.

Instead of buying a full kit, I pieced mine together. For a box I used a Moroso one, if it's good enough for the NHRA & SCCA it's good enough for me. For cables, I actually raided 3 BMW's in a yard some years ago. Old E30's have a trunk setup form the factory, and pulled some extra from some 525's that had it under the rear seat, as I knew one cable is not going to be long enough for the G. Reason I went this way is they are quality, cheap, and have some great OEM accessories coming with them. They are also a 2/0 cable in typical BMW overkill fashion. The pile:

Also grabbed the BMW junction boxes. For building the cables to my needs, went with Fusion lugs. They are ready to solder out of the box with a propane torch. For the battery side fuse, using a Stinger Marine grade breaker.

Connection made behind the rear seat. Perfect spot for the junction box, as it allows me to easily hotwire the fuel pump should I decide to later.

Trunk sorted out:

Random @ss shot:

Running it down in the factory wire rail, plenty room.

Drilled a hole behind the factory bulkhead by the driver side footwell, and used a crossmember bushing as a grommet, perfect fitment. Than ran it to the front through the factory opening behind the headlight. Disassembled the factory fuse, well, ended up drilling it apart. I wanted to keep the factory fuse and wires, and since the E30 cable has a battery post end to it, I just flipped the Galant's connector. Just need to find a nice cover for it, otherwise done.

I basically just did it for the space, but I have to say the weight distribution in the car is actually noticeably better as well..

Merry Christmas TGC! I surprised myself with a new Acer 2in1 running Windows 10 so started to play around with ecuflash. It's been several years since I messed with it the last time, but catching back up slowly.

My ROM ID I pulled is 80930006 - Does any of you V6 guys have a definition file for this one?

I have the xml for 80930005 along with the corresponding ROM. Edited that to at least do some comparisons but certainly things are off as load, rpm shows wrong in some tables. I was also wondering if anyone knows where the 80930005 came from, as I couldn't find it referenced in any service bulletins. 80930006 is the only ROM ID I see associated with the 03 GTZ ECU (MR578712)

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast