The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 2003 Silver GTZ - Kouki Vr4, 6g75 MT build

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 288

My 2003 Silver GTZ - Kouki Vr4, 6g75 MT build

The day has come when I finally started to turn the wrench on my "new" Galant, so here comes the build thread or diary, and lots of sleepless nights.

For those who don't know, I owned a Kalapana Black '01 GTZ for 10 years, till someone most likely on the phone while driving put an end to that. (She ran into me from the back with 60ish mph while I was standing in a line.) It was fun car that I enjoyed working on, this is what it looked like in it's last phase:

Than this. I will miss that PWR radiator.

And the VR4 rear bumper that I brought over myself in a suitcase.

Needless to say I was pretty depressed. This happened back in January, and for several months I was trying find an other one. I was tempted several times to just move on. Than last Saturday I purchased a '02 GTZ. Here it is in it's stock, faded glory.

]

First I actually passed on it bc I thought it needs too much work, but thinking it through I came to realize I need to stop being lazy, as I can do what it needs, and have the parts. (I bought the '01 back from insurance.)

The bad: cancer. It is my favorite mitsu color however so good base for a repaint in the end.
    The good: completely rust free southern car! Makes a huge difference.

So the idea is to swap over the parts from my old GTZ, finish what I started (6g75 swap), pull off an other JDM conversion and paint it.

Build of my 2003 Sterling Silver Metallic will start with post 75, on page 4.
    Last edited by RedGalant2k1; 07-09-2015 at 08:09 PM

I started on it today and made a small progress. First I wanted to to swap the suspension and the brakes. Didn't get as far as I wanted bc of the rain but completed the front.

I've been running Megan coilovers with 8k Tanabe springs up front. It made for a nice ride, but the springs will have to be recoated or replaced in the future. Still have the Megans too, but I'm not sure what directions I'll be going. New boots are also in order. Lower portion of struts have been re-powdercoated.

And in with my DIY endlinks.

Also keeping my front brakes for now: Baer BBK. For reference,
    BAER (PBR) caliper vs OEM caliper:

The same caliper vs my EVO8 Brembo. (I might convert if I find the right set of wheels, once I'm done with everything else.):

BAER 13.1'' discs vs the OEM. This setup has been very good to me, had it for years and still has lots of life in it.

And all together:

Face off:

Rears will follow next week.

The '02 seems to be shaping-up in no time. Great work thus far!
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    The '02 seems to be shaping-up in no time. Great work thus far!
    Thanks, it's going to take a while but I'm determined. Your build is also very, very motivating!

Always loved the Titanium myself!

Good start with the new G! Looks like she'll be another winner.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Nice transformation, would have been nice if you could salvage the bumper and radiator as well. Was your previous 8g 5spd converted or auto? Reason I ask is I thought some auto trannys are cooled by the radiator and to use an aftermarket rad, you need a seperate cooler.
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I just thought I recalled reading that somewhere, but not pertaining to galants.

Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Nice transformation, would have been nice if you could salvage the bumper and radiator as well. Was your previous 8g 5spd converted or auto? Reason I ask is I thought some auto trannys are cooled by the radiator and to use an aftermarket rad, you need a seperate cooler.
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I just thought I recalled reading that somewhere, but not pertaining to galants.
    Yes, the oem radiator has the cooler built in for the auto trans, so if you remove it you need a separate one. I converted to 5sp however.

I am uber excited to follor this build! Loved your old car, it was so cleanly done.

Question, those Baer brakes a 3g application? or 2g?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Yes, the oem radiator has the cooler built in for the auto trans, so if you remove it you need a separate one. I converted to 5sp however.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Glad I didn't read wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I am uber excited to follor this build! Loved your old car, it was so cleanly done.

Question, those Baer brakes a 3g application? or 2g?
    Thanks man! They are for the 3G, 2G front kits will not work.

One of the things that bothered me about '02 is the interior. It's worn badly, so I decided to swap it completely. Between my day offs I started to pull parts from '01 in the nights.

Front and rear are pretty much done, still need to pull the seats, headliner, doorcards, sw and carpet.

Some of the goodies out. Oldskool Greddy oil pressure gauge and AEM UEGO:

Just as oldskool Defi gauges:

The harness I built for them, kept it PnP:

Today I finally got to the rear shocks. First however I rebled the front brakes and installed these lifesavers while at it. The best is you can pick them up at any parts store. ***Update: they leak on both my Brembos and the Baers. Don't get these if you are shopping for bleeders.***

On the suspension what was a pita: the camber bolts. Two of them even stripped on '01 during reassembly and the bushings were so old that they just didn't line back up, till I wedged a BFP into the suspension, sat on it, and in a monkey kind pose started wrenching. Set me back hours but I made some new friends in the neighborhood... Makes me appreciate '02 even more = no rust.

Rear Megans and EVO VIII Brembos pulled, discs are EBC USR, pads are Hawk HPS.

For old times sake, some of my original pics:

Some goodies also showed up to replace my rusty cheap old stuff:
    Password JDM lugnuts. Fun fact: made in the USA.

Put '01 back together and that was it for today.
    Last edited by gtx; 10-05-2014 at 09:32 PM

can't wait to see more
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

I am loving the rebuild so far man.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Another day off, another day in paradise. (=Rain) Started the morning with drilling off the dust shields to make room for the EVO rotors.

Than cleaned up the shocks and replaced the springs. Notice the difference between the Megan and Tanabe springs: a full coil.

Than the rain started. What to do to stay productive? My wife loves me...

Find of the day under the carpet in '02:

After a while the rain stopped. The brake lines I had to leave on '01, so stock lines for now. The speed bleeders were also a pain on the Brembos. While on the BAERs they worked great, on the evo brakes I'm suspecting they are going to leak, as it feels like it took too much force to close them. Will see.

Still a LOT to do, but finally a familiar look.

Wow! Awesome!! What's next?

Looking good. I've always loved the Enkei EV5's.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I was about to ask what wheels those were... I LOVE THEM!!!

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Clean so far, good stuff

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast