The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 2003 Silver GTZ - Kouki Vr4, 6g75 MT build

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Showing results 261 to 280 of 288
    I guess you can do that once you get that far in the engine bay lol worst scenario you'll just pull the engine out again and do some light paint job, man I'm so jealous that you guys can go that far on the car, and it's encouraging for me :)

Quote Originally Posted by yhkwok View Post
    I guess you can do that once you get that far in the engine bay lol worst scenario you'll just pull the engine out again and do some light paint job, man I'm so jealous that you guys can go that far on the car, and it's encouraging for me :)
    Yeaaah, I really do not want to pull the engine again for a while lol, it comes at a price. It's not the work, but doing this in a 1 car garage is a pain as I literally have parts in every corner of the house.

That's another point why I'm so admiring of you guys! In not being limited by the environment

She's alive!!! Have some issues to sort out, but running :)

Glad to hear it's up and running! You're going to love how effortlessly the car pulls through each gear.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

So here's the last couple days in pictures.

While waiting for the fab shop, I started to redo the wiring. Integrated the defi fuel press and water temp into the main harness, I guess starting with an auto is good for something afterall: had a bunch of unused wires left going from the engine bay to the ecu, put them to use. Nothing like soldering by a flashlight at midnight btw. Also ran the wires for the wideband and egt.

Running a set of RIPP original longtubes made for the 6g72: the rear header clears ok (kind of tight against the kframe, not sure how I feel about it but fits), but the front didn't. Had a shop move the collector further up, so now it clears the oilpan and the starter perfectly. Also sorted the sensors while at it. Most likely I'll take it back for some more adjustments later but it all works for now.

Intake parts finally in. Mishimoto packed the wrong size clamps, but I had enough other ones in the end anyways, so yay, intake.

Once all done, all fluids in and the ecu flashed, went to start it up. No go. First I sprayed fuel on my windshield - forgot to tighten the AN feed line. (lesson one.) Also threw a p0340 code for camshaft sensor. Starting to think about it, I double checked the distributor. I rebuilt and used the one from the '02, thinking it was the same part # as the one on '03, turns out I missed a digit... switched back to the '03 distributor. (lesson 2). Code gone still no go. At this point I had to walk away from it, it was getting dark anyways. I could smell the fuel, figured let it soak - the engine was sitting for years afterall, probably sticky pistons.

And than here we go, this morning she started up on the second try. Still have to tune as it seems it's running lean according to the uego, have some more wiring to do and now popping a fault code for the alternator. I'm secretly hoping it's simply because it's a higher output one the ecu is not used to, and not a dead alternator all together. Can't wait till my next day off. In the meantime:

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    Glad to hear it's up and running! You're going to love how effortlessly the car pulls through each gear.
    It's not even sorted yet and the sound alone already puts a huge smile on my face. I can only imagine how much fun you are having with yours. Thank You for the base map!

yeah!
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

It definitely looks good.

I know the base map will need a bit of adjustment to be perfect on your car, but it should be a decent starting point to work with.

It sure is. The "lean condition" turned out to be a dead o2 and wbo2 sensor, once I switched them out, got a nice ~12 AFR reading at idle like expected/suspected.
    Alternator fault turned out to be something silly, a loose connector. Now that those are sorted I can really start playing with the tune. Really would like to find a factory 75 map to dig into. Radiator is probably next on the list - the factory one is ok, but not optimal. Other than that, the car just want's to go, can't believe how different of an animal it is.

Picked up a new radiator - Mishimoto EVO V. I'm happy for the price, but kind of miss my old PWR one, there's definitely a difference in quality. The Mishi has a lifetime warranty however, hard to beat. My PWR fan setup also didn't carry over, looks like the Mishi has different mounting points - strange, but easy to deal with, just need to make new brackets. Now if I could just find the time to take the car to the welder...

Which Radiator hose you using for the upper?

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Prodigy View Post
    Which Radiator hose you using for the upper?
    Mishi EVO V

The v6 OEM galant lower hose one should be compatible on for that rad right?

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Prodigy View Post
    The v6 OEM galant lower hose one should be compatible on for that rad right?
    Yes, the v6 lower hose fits perfect.

Mainly just enjoying the car - hooning the streets and scaring people :D

With that said, finished my fan setup: kept the factory driver side fan with the shroud and managed to mount an other puller from a mid 90's Civic - should be enough considering I used to run a thinner rad with 1 fan only on the 3L. Also switching to HPS hoses and some more aluminum bits. Still have to find the time to make it to the welder.

Also mounted an Outlander hazard switch, since I had to delete the factory one because of the tacho. 2 days later snapped the passanger side axle so got to test it too :D

Oh, also switched to Montero Limited headrests - at 6.5 they are perfect.

And finally, I went from the Megan shortsifter to a B&M. Nothing wrong with Megan but the B&M is stainless. I'll be selling the knob tho as I'm keeping the the Skunk one.

That's about it for now.

I like how you mounted the additional fan. Much cleaner than the cheap plastic ties that mess up the fins that I'm guilty of using.

What kind of carnage came from breaking the axle? Did the shaft itself break or was it one of the cups?

Thanks! The joint broke inside the inner boot, everything else is fine. It happened during a hard left turn in high rev 2nd, I really should have known better.

Got off my lazy butt and installed the mishi finaly. Instead of rewelding the lower tabs, took an idea from a member on the fb group, and used a pair of 66-77 Bronco lower radiator brackets to mount it. In short, the factory bushings had to be shaved, the driver side bracket was notched to clear the leg on the mishi (wasn't going to cut it off the radiator lol) and the rad support frame was trimmed a hair on the pass side to clear the bracket. After all that it sits perfect. Chopped up a mishi EVO V upper hose and using the HPS EVO VIII lower. Would love to match the upper in the future (black) and find proper tbolt clamps but it will do for now. Fans clear with room to spare yaaay. Only thing left is to find bushings for my aluminum upper rad brackets.

And how she sits now. Kind of want to do the sideskirts and flares next.

Last edited by gtx; 08-19-2018 at 07:13 PM

Looking good! Going to have to start this Engine swap, that 75 looks sexy in there!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast