The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 2003 Silver GTZ - Kouki Vr4, 6g75 MT build

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 288
    So effing jealous of how clean it is!!!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Before starting on '03, just for memories, two pictures of '02 before the accident. I will miss that color, but I already like the silver better, I never thought I would.

So, where were we?

Engine and trans separated, just need to get the flywheel off (Fidanza). The clutch was oem the last time, but have something better in a box already.

Rewind a couple years to see why I was sweating the trans:

This one was built by Sheptrans to their EVO Street/Strip specs, Wavetrac LSD inside. Best investment ever.

More 5sp goodies: EVO 8 optional pedals, Megan shortsifter, Skunk knob, ES bushings, Agency Power clutchline.

Other than that, '01 is completely stripped at this point, and will go to the yard Thursday.
    Last edited by gtx; 05-20-2015 at 01:42 AM

I'm salivating
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Haha, at least I don't have to hide this comment from my kids, like you last one.

Good day today, if a little bit sad. The 2001 GTZ is gone.

Lot's of memories with that car. I guess this would be the time to post some of my favorite pictures of it.

2005:

2006:

2007:

2011:

2012:

RIP. Now onto the 2003 GTZ...

Are those pictures from 2007 on the tail of the dragon?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Experienced TGC Member
    Gone but will never be forgotten..

Wish you luck on the new one.

Whats the plans....

Started on the interior. Not so long ago I scored a 3g Infinity setup in brand new condition. I really only needed the speakers but in the lot came a hu, 6cd changer and amp - good for spares. Only difference between the 8g and 3g amps are the mounting brackets btw, swap the case and it would be good to go in the Galant. The N810 will be mounted to serve as an mp3 player. I like old Nokia's.

Finding stuff under the rear seat never fails. I even have the PO's dl. She's kinda hot, and my kids love the pencils.

Cleaned up. Need to get the carpet in and swap the headliners, install the mirrors and it's done. This time things seem to go a lot faster. Like I've done this before or something...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    Are those pictures from 2007 on the tail of the dragon?
    Good guess, close! Somewhere around Asheville, NC, Blue Ridge Parkway. I really want to go back there.

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    Gone but will never be forgotten..

Wish you luck on the new one.

Whats the plans....
    Thanks! Plans for the long run are full Kouki Vr4 conversion again, 5sp and 3.8 with boltons. Right now I want to finish the interior and swap the suspension/wheels/brakes in next.

Experienced TGC Member
    Nice. If you have an exrta good center dash speaker I need one. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    Nice. If you have an exrta good center dash speaker I need one. Just saying.
    That's the one thing I don't have. All 3g/8g's seem to blow those first (than the front speakers), and I don't even want to replace it as I believe it contributes to cracks in the dashboard. With that said the EVO X and some Endeavors are running a 2 Ohm system as well, that's where I would look for better replacements.

Experienced TGC Member
    Good point about being thats the first place where they crack.. Having second thoughts now. Lol.. Maybe I'll just leave the grill there and leave the speaker out and fabing a bracket for a third tweeter instead.

Interior swap done, jdm mirrors done. The inside cleaned up nicely. Suspension swap also done. Installed the BAERs again as well, the BREMBOs will be probably the last thing on the list. Took the car to my favorite HONDA dealership for an alignment and brake fluid flush, man it feels great to be lowered again!

Blog Entries
    nice work

Experienced TGC Member
    Looks real nice. Congrats

sell me that wavetrac
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

You got me excited again about the EVO steering wheel, so I went out to the yard to see what I can come up with.

Found a manual 02 Lancer. I knew that the EVO sw swap is plug and play on Lancers of the same gen, so I pulled the clockspring too but left it there as they wanted too much for it. Took the pigtail tho. As I was cleaning the parts at home, I got suspicious: tested the pigtail with my '01 Galant clockspring and it went right in... hmm.

This is what I get for not doing my homework: turns out that while all Lancer clocksprings have the same connector on the air bag side, the other side changed in 2002 May:

So I went back to play around with things. Clockspring and combo switch from a '02 Lancer, 2002 April build date:

Pulled a '03 Galant clockspring to compare, and that's when it finally sunk in...

Pulled a '04 Lancer clockspring to compare as well and verify. ('04 on left '02 on right)

SO if your Galant was built before 2002 May, and you want to use the EVO8/9 steering wheel, get the pre 2002 May Lancer clockspring. It's not only pnp, but you can keep the cruise control too if you want to. Part number MR301706, yellow clip.

If your Galant was built after 2002 May, use the EVO/Lancer clockspring from 2002 May up and it will be pnp. No cruise control, but it's easy to find even on ebay for dirt cheap. MR583930, green clip.

In case someone also wondered if you can use the Lancer/EVO steering column so no welding would be involved, it's a no go. Lancer column on top (too short), Galant on bottom. The combo switches seem to be physically interchangeable.

In the meantime my garage is starting to look like a chop shop. At this point I have 4 bumpers hanging in there.

More to come.
    Last edited by gtx; 06-12-2015 at 10:44 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Good find.

Yup I knew about the 03 up eclipse clockspring but didn't think to investigate into the lancer. Good info I need to record this and save it.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Nothing really new, but just for the record: Now I'm at the point where I was with the '02 right before the accident. I feel that's good progress considering I didn't even change the plate on the car yet... :)

Carbing STB looks right at home in '03.

Endlinks lubed up and ready to go in. (That didn't sound right...) The Addco swaybar got some fresh coats of red.

One more piece to the puzzle arrived this week: I guess the front is next.

Nice... finally i see some puts rotors the correct way. Good progress. Good to know on the sterring. (Rookie here lol)

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast