The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weird Problem/

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Weird Problem/

I have steam or smoke coming from my dash after the car runs for about 10 mins smells like coolant, Having a time troubleshooting this. I check the car for codes and only got back a P0401 code.

any help appreciated

is ure carpet wet? im guessin ure HVAC unit is leaking
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

Weird Problem/

The carpet is not wet, would the hvac cause smoke or steam to come from the dash ?
    Last edited by Waka Flocka Eric; 11-03-2014 at 04:11 PM

Is it something you'd describe as significant? Or does it seem like a light mist?

Significant also I car hear what sounds like a bubbling/boiling sound coming from the dash

Sounds like a heater core. Are you consistently losing coolant? Do you notice any puddles beneath the vehicle? Also, is your Air Conditioning system working at all?

As far as losing coolant I'm not sure the steam coming through the dash could mean I'm losing coolant no puddles under the car and the when you refer to air conditions system do you mean cold air or hot, or both?

The bubbling is typical of a heater core problem. If you have problems with the heater core, it is also likely that your heat isn't functioning. Less likely, but is also possible that your A/C will not blow cold if you have low coolant. I should also mention, these cars have issues with there 'blend air' system. The A/C and heating control system tends to fail. Your precursor symptoms would be a constant clicking when switching from Cold to Hot (and vice versa). It is also possible that you have a combination of issues. Have you checked your coolant levels since posting this? Have you pulled the carpet back on the passenger side front to see if you do indeed have coolant leaking into the passenger compartment?

Haven't done it yet but definitely will get to it tomorrow and get back to you

Weird Problem/

No hot air coolant does seem to be slowly decreasing, passenger side is damp but not sure if that is coolant, still running a couple if test

Completed test and when I pulled back the carpet there was coolant, faulty heater core? Also would this cause any problems with the exhaust?
    Last edited by Waka Flocka Eric; 11-04-2014 at 10:44 AM

Faulty or plugged heater core. There is a drain underneath the vehicle that is supposed to allow the system to evacuate moisture build up from the heather core. Most likely it needs replacing considering it isn't likely to have ever been replaced in your vehicle. What exhaust issues are you having? Do you have a check engine light on? If so, have you scanned it? If so, what code was present?

I bypassed my heater for now, I live in the desert so you never need the thing.

What makes you think you are having exhaust problems?

Best bet would be to check the heater core being plugged before I buy a new one, and is there any instructions on how check or replace this drain underneath the car.

I code the car and got a p0401 error,after the first couple of mins smoke will come from the front exhaust, don't know if it's a exhaust leak or vacuum leak just got done replacing the engine recently

having trouble removing the heater core, pipes seem to be attach to some plastic housing in the back of the heater core unit, any idea on what this is and how to remove it so i can proceed.Haynes manual doesn't really help out with this part

hello, I am completely new to this and I am just trying to figure out a problem with my car. I have a 2001 galant and my passenger floorboards are soaked with water and are actually puddles of water. what could it be?

Check the drain in the engine compartment and see if there is a block, the one that RedGalant2k1 mentioned above. If you blow compressed air through it, water might come out of the passenger side and hopefully whatever is blocked might get released. The drain is located on the firewall straight down from the throttle body (if I remember right)

we have looked for a hose, but cant see a hose there but we do see a spot where a hose could possibly go... we just cant reach it to blow air into it... and it not like the puddles stay like we vacuumed all the water up and dried my carpets, they are getting a little wet again, I haven't used the air nor has it rained.. and then all of a sudden the puddles just come back like over night or over the time of the day . . . I have no clue about anything on this car. this is my first car and have had troubles with it ever since I got it. . . .