The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g galant stereo install help!

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

8g galant stereo install help!

Alright so i m a newbie here but i have used the search function but cannot find what i am looking for. I just bought an 03 Galant with the Infinity sound system with the amp. I bought an aftermarket head unit and when i removed the old one, thats when i realized its not as simple as just connecting the harness from the car to the harness i bought and attatched to the stereo and antenna. Is there another adapter for me to buy so that i can connect the aftermarket head unit to the stock amp and speakers? Any help or guidence in the right direction would be appreciated.

few options:
    1) go to best buy / ebay / etc and buy a wiring harness adapter, I would almost guarantee someone makes one but IDK

2) use a DVOM set to resistance to check which wire is which by holding one end to the wire at the head unit and the other side to the wire and the speaker

3) follow this diagram for the galant and match it with the headunit harness.

*disclaimer* this diagram is for a 2003 galant v6 ES with amplifier. if you need a different one LMK but I would imagine that the 4cyl is the same too.

EDIT: if this is your first time around a wiring diagram the first color is the primary color, the second is the tracer or "stripe"

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Do yourself a favor and buy the correct harness, it'll be simple and plug and play, all the speakers and the amp will work and sound twice as good.

Here's what you need

Metra 70-7003

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380332076878

There ya go ^ option 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by demond0d5 View Post
    few options:
    1) go to best buy / ebay / etc and buy a wiring harness adapter, I would almost guarantee someone makes one but IDK

2) use a DVOM set to resistance to check which wire is which by holding one end to the wire at the head unit and the other side to the wire and the speaker

3) follow this diagram for the galant and match it with the headunit harness.

*disclaimer* this diagram is for a 2003 galant v6 ES with amplifier. if you need a different one LMK but I would imagine that the 4cyl is the same too.

EDIT: if this is your first time around a wiring diagram the first color is the primary color, the second is the tracer or "stripe"
    Not sure what you mean as far as a harness adapter. I bought a harness that I wired to the head unit and then clicks with the harness that was connected to the stock unit. But aside from the wire harness the stock unit comes with a separate smaller input for a cable that is like the antenna one but smaller, and the output for what looks like all the speakers that goes to the amp. I'm trying to see if there is an adapter to connect the cable that goes to the amp in to and after market head unit and what the smaller antenna like cable is. Again if these are noob questions I apologize I've always been used to just seeing the harness and the amp output on a stereo so it caught me off guard with the way this is set up.

Thx for the help guys. It seems the deck I got also was a marine deck so it had no other outputs besides the regular wires and the antenna. Looking at other head units there is some that come with the amp output that the stock one has as well. My last question is what is the thinner antenna like cable for? I haven't seen any other decks with an input for that second one.

I believe it was an AM antenna. I had that on my eclipse, never connected it to the replacement decks and never had any issues.

As far as a replacement, your gonna want one with Front and Rear outputs, and make sure they are 4 Volt outputs. 2V may work but you'll have decreased sound.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 11-20-2014 at 09:18 PM

Would it matter if it had front and rear if I'm just connecting the same cable thats connected on the stock one with no adapter? I've seen some decks that have that same amp output that the stock one has unless I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by hexgutierrez View Post
    Would it matter if it had front and rear if I'm just connecting the same cable thats connected on the stock one with no adapter? I've seen some decks that have that same amp output that the stock one has unless I'm mistaken.
    You have officially confused me. Post pictures of the back of the stock radio and how your new radio is connected.

Stock radios do not have rca outputs. And yes you need front and rear for the harness to work.

He's saying
    instead of getting a new harness adapter to use whatever headunit he already bought

He found a headunit with the same harness clip

I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said for the most part ^^^ But the stereo i bought doesnt take the same harness clip i have the wirirng harness for that. But what it does have is an input for the cable that leads to the amp just like the stock stereo. Its not rca outputs its the single thicker black cable with round connection.