The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: couple of questions on evap and ecu.

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

couple of questions on evap and ecu.

so I keep getting a P0456 code (evap leak very small) on my car so I decided to tackle it yesterday. I hooked it up to a smoke machine and no leak, changed my gas cap to a new oem one, hoses fine, evap canister fine, and still get the code. so im assuming its either my evap solenoid failing or my ecu failing to tell the solenoid to open and close. now if its the ecu that's the problem, will I be able to just swap it out or do I have to get a new set of keys/immobilizer to work with this ecu or does the dealership have to reprogram stuff?? 2002 2.4 btw.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

I would try the solenoids first.

And only 99 models are immobilizer free, the rest require to be programmed.
    Unless you buy the ecu with key, ignition switch and immobilizer box all together (they are sold that way too).

Cool thanks that's what I figured, just ordered solenoids from dealer this morning.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune

I know you said it passed the smoke test already, but was is also hooked up to a machine to activate (open/close) the solenoids?

Just wondering, please let us know when you get the code to go away =)

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Yes, the solenoid did open and close on the machine. But considering I've never changed them and with 292k miles now, I decided to order new ones. Which brings me down to either the ecu isn't telling the solenoids to open and close sometimes or I have a wire that's damaged somewhere that's stopping the signal. So far since I reseted the ecu it hasn't come back on yet and I decided to drive the car 70 miles around town to see if it came on. Even took a chance to smog the car since it needed to be and it passed all the tests. So I'm a bewildered what is making it come on at times.

Its probably just a purge solenoid that has a small leak. When it is commanded to close and you lose pressure in the tank that is probably where it is going. If the wiring were bad you'd get a purge solenoid or vent valve circuit malfunction code

292k and still passed smog. Cali strict ass smog at that! Suck on that one automakers of the world.