The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Break-in period

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Engine Break-in period

Rebuilt the engine a few months back before I went to boot and never really had a chance to drive it more than 5 miles if that.. Just wondering if it would be safe or even wise to drive it 14hrs on the highway to my next command

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

In short, yes its kind of a bad idea. The goal for engine break in is to allow it to heat cycle and run a varied loads and rpm. Now, if you take your time, and make sure to run different speeds, from like 50-80 mph, shut it down and let it cool for a few hours after 4 hours or so of driving you will be fine. Just gotta plan for that and increase your expected travel time. The other issue is that if something goes wrong most people try to make it to the next exit, and that will lead to more damage being done to the engine, potentially.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    The first 100 miles you set the rings and break in the valve seats. Need to vary rpm and do some pulls to redline and then engine brake the rpms back down to set the rings. After the first 500 miles of proper break in you can do anything.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Damm that kinda hurts my heart. I guess I'll jus sell it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk