The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Any interest in custom suspension parts?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Any interest in custom suspension parts?

So I'm looking at prototyping some suspension parts for the car this up and coming season. Examples being front control arms that will allow for both caster and camber adjustment while increasing tire clearance from the body. Also lower and upper rear arms that will allow similar adjustment.

Another thing with the front is the design will allow for the use of the Whiteline roll center correction ball joints, or I can use a heim, but the bump steer correcting tie rod ends will be needed either way.

Bear in mind it will be April/May before I start making things and have a completed design, so I'll ask, is anyone interested in these kinds of parts, and what features would you like to see? My goal is to make them legal for SCCA and NASA competition, so they will be built with that in mind, however classing makes a difference, with SM in autocross I can use spherical bearings and heim joints, where with the STF and SP classes I need to retain bushings of non-metallic variety. The non-metallic bushings may be a better option for those of you regularly driving your cars on the street as it will reduce noise and harshness.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Considering my wheel fitment and spring-2015 lowering plans, I'm highly interested in a complete set of adjustable arms front and rear.

In for some fronts
    I like the idea of the white line RCK and one could use that with the bump steer kit for evo 8/9.
    Last edited by greddy; 12-24-2014 at 10:27 AM
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Well once I get the Whiteline kit in my hands I'm going to develop the needed components to adapt the set to the factory control arms. I think that will be something that a lot of people on here and club 3g will have interest in.

For those of us who are pushing boundaries even further I feel a drop in control arm that allows for more caster adjustment and can add camber will allow people to set up their cars to the next level of capabilities. With top camber plates and these lower arms the hub will be able to move about 20mm in and out to ease minor issues with having wheel offset that isn't spot on to what is needed.

The main issue I've been having with going to a 295-315 width front tire set up is that they will hit the inside rear of the wheel arch when at full lock. So being able to move the hub forward slightly while adding caster will be a benefit on both ends.

I'm playing with design and materials in order to make sure that I will have the best ease of adjust-ability in the lightest and strongest package I can produce.

For those of you who daily your vehicles the ball joint and bushing route will be the best choice as it will reduce noise transfer and will have less maintenance. There are some who either don't compromise or use their cars for track only who will enjoy the added control and adjust-ability of running a heim instead of a ball joint with spherical bearings connecting the arm to the chassis.

Cool keep me posted regardless which direction you go
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Ok, I'll post some pictures of the Volvo front arms to give people some idea of what I can do. Rear arms might be a better route to go with, I could completely eliminate the drastic camber change and toe in that results from the lowering of the rear suspension.

Front arms will come, but I think rear arms will make a bigger difference.