The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rattle on acceleration

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Icon5 rattle on acceleration

Ok.. time to ask for help. I have done research and narrowed it down to ac clutch or a heat shield.

When i accelerate..i get a vibration.sounds like buzzing kind of rattle. Like a heat shield rattle.
    ive also read that people have this with the ac clutches. I do know that sometimes when my ac kicks on..it makes a "hone" noise.
    Is there a way to test?
    Will i see any negative side effects for removing my exhaut shields?
    My engine mounts are new..
    03 galant 2.4 autotragic.

Over 20 views and no insight? Anyone knkw hkw to check ac clutches?

My insight is this.

If you are thinking a heat shield is loose, they are easy enough to shake when cool to see if indeed they are.

As far as the AC Clutch? First, have you ensured your AC system is properly charged? If not, start there. If so, then remove the AC belt, start the car, if you don't hear the rattle or 'hone' sound as you mentioned, there is your problem. Based on my experience with this platform, I'd be surprised if it is anything but the heat shields. And no, no significant side effects from removing the heat shields.

Quote Originally Posted by N4aRush View Post
    Over 20 views and no insight? Anyone knkw hkw to check ac clutches?
    Nobody chimed in because noises on a forum are one of the hardest things to diagnose if no sound or video clip is provided.

Check AC Clutch? It either works or it doesn't, all it is, is coil that powers up when the AC is turned on, it magnetizes and grabs the pulley to spin it with the belt. Only thing to check is whether there is power at the connector or not.

In my experience I had a sort of "keys jingling" sound when the rubber dampers on the face of the a/c clutch were worn out, replacing the plate with one from the yard fixed her.

Dave too has provided some very helpful information. I would also start by removing the AC belt and driving the car. Report back with findings or sound clip.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 01-02-2015 at 02:41 PM

Thank you..i wasnt asking anyone to diagnose the noise..i pretty much did that..i was asking for insight in the ac clutch packs..and asking if removing the heat shields would have ill effects.