The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HOW TO: Foglights on with Parking Lights and High Beams The Quick, Cheap and Easy Way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36

HOW TO: Foglights on with Parking Lights and High Beams The Quick, Cheap and Easy Way

Hello and Happy New Year TGC!

Please note, this is limited to 8Ga (1999-2001)

Today I bring you a little bit of info on how to get your fog lights to come on with your parking lights, your low beams (of course) and they will remain on when using your high beams. Please note that after doing this mod (which is completely reversible BTW) you will no longer have use of your fog light button, it will serve no purpose anymore. The nice thing is you won't have to push the thing every single time you are going for a drive at night. Reason I decided to do mine is simple, my fog button gets stuck in the "In" position and to release it I have to tap next to it, I tried cleaning it but no luck.... And I don't care much to replace it on this beater anyway. So on to the reason you clicked on this Thread.

But first, a little bit of insight on how this works. Its really very simple, most lights on the car are run by a relay, the relay has 4 pins.

The diagram I drew up looks like the lighting relays on the 8G.

Pin A is the positive side of the fog lights, ready to receive power to turn the lights on.

Pin B is the 12V power ready to be sent, all that it needs is the relay to be activated and Pins A and B will connect internally.

Pins C and D are the trigger pins, one pin requires power and the other "Ground" to activate the relay, it doesn't matter which way the positive and negative is provided as long as it's there the relay will open.

On the car, one of the trigger pins is already powered up and the relay just needs "Ground" on the opposite pin to work. The "Ground" is provided as you turn on the lights (whether its parking, lows, highs or fogs, they all work the same) Incidentally "Ground" is removed from our fog light relay when the high beams are activated which is why they turn off. Its stupid, I know.

All you need is a small piece of wire like the one pictured next to the Mitsu key (size reference), preferably one that is solid and not stranded so you can shove it in the pin hole. LOL!
    I have this roll of circuit board wire you can see it on the last picture sitting on the grill, got it in my tool kit from ITT Tech when I was there, so if you have 30 grand you too can go enroll and they'll give you that spool with a bunch of other things to make circuits. If you don't have the 30K but you do have a few bucks, you can go to radio shack and ask for the smallest solid wire they have, also know as hookup wire. Take your phone and show them what you need if the person helping you is a clueless high school snob.

First we need to find, and remove the fog light and parking light relays, pictured above the green arrow points to the fog light relay, the orange arrow points to the parking light relay. These relays are the same exact thing so don't worry about mixing them up.

So what we are going to do is simply use the "Ground" provided to the parking light relay to run the fog light relay also. Just insert one end of our very small wire in the parking light side "Ground" pin and the other end to the fog light pin in need of "Ground." See the red arrows below. Be sure to move the wire aside and out of the way of the relays shown by yellow arrows.

This entire mod can be done by hand, virtually no tools required for this mod Although wires strippers are better than teeth and pliers help remove relays if they are a little stuck, wiggle them out slow, don't yank harder and harder or it will break. When replacing the relays back after the wires are in place you may have to give them a bit more uummphh to force the relay pin in where the wire is in now.

Once the relays are replaced they will have a very snug fit, you can go ahead and test your work.

My End result.

Please be sure to test the pins with at least a test light, you can do this by grounding the tail of the test light to your negative battery post, test the smaller of the pins. You will be jumping the pins that do not have power, meaning the test light won't light up. On my pictures I have very carefully selected the pins that are correct, you may follow this but just know that TGC and I are not responsible if you make a mistake, your car goes haywire and you burn your house down.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 01-22-2015 at 02:33 AM

Couldn't post in knowledge base. Maybe a mod can move.

Members any questions feel free to post PMs are cool but its nice for everyone to see in case they have that same question.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Couldn't post in knowledge base. Maybe a mod can move.

Members any questions feel free to post PMs are cool but its nice for everyone to see in case they have that same question.
    I cant see the pictures?

pics show up fine for me
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

All i see is a blue square with a question mark in it.. must be my stupid phone?

Try using Tapatalk. Or switch to another browser, chrome or puffin.

I might give this a try especally since I have leds in my fogs. I sometimes drive with my lows on kinda like drls, but simply for looks due to me having hids. But then I thought that's uneccessary wear on the hids, and I actually have perfect working set now (relay haress too) that I want to preserve. We both know the hell I went though with the other sets, so I'm sure you see why I cherish these lol.

Thanks for sharing the write up.
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 01-21-2015 at 09:37 PM

Are you 8Gb?

I have yet to own to mess with, I took a glance at a fuse box lid and there may be an issue. I just gotta get one to play with an I'll figure out an easy way.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm 8gb lol.

Next month I'll be getting one (8Gb). I'll update the OP.

Cool, I'll definitely check back

Moved to Knowledge Base for 8G. I think this is the perfect method for all skill levels, very little work, clean, painless, easy, looks safe from here. Good on you bro!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Moved to Knowledge Base for 8G. I think this is the perfect method for all skill levels, very little work, clean, painless, easy, looks safe from here. Good on you bro!
    Good looking out G.

So this mod will not work on a 2002? I couldn't find the relay boxes and now I'm wondering if the 2001 and 2002 differ more than I though. Sorry, I am kinda new to this.

This is for 99-01

If your fusebox doesn't look like the one pictured it won't work. As soon as I get my hands on a 2002-03 I'll find a way and update.

I was afraid they would be different.. oh well worth a shot. If you are able to get an 2002 please do update! I have been trying to figure this out for months now.

Will do.

Does anyone know which of the 3 wires going into the turn signal is the parking light and which one is the actual turn signal wire that makes it blink? I have a solid black wire (I'm sure thats the negative), a green wire with a blue stripe, and a green wire with an orange stripe. I'm installing LED bulbs and want to make sure I put the resistor on the turn signal wire and not the parking light wire.
    Last edited by Techn0Nut1996; 01-24-2015 at 12:35 PM

No harm in choosing the wrong one and then correcting yourself.

Off the top of my head I cant say which is which. Grab a test light and find out.

However thinking back to my alarm install, parking lights (not turn signals) from under the dash, wire color was green/orange.

I looked in my Haynes Manual and after some digging found out that the left turn signal is green/blue and the right turn signal is green/yellow. LEDs fully functioning now! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast