The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Radio and dome light don't work, power lock only works with key on

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Radio and dome light don't work, power lock only works with key on

Hi,

I have a 2003 Galant DE. I put in an aftermarket car stereo 3-4 years ago (using harness adapters), everything worked fine until about 6 months ago. The stereo appeared to lose power, would go out, then come back on. I pulled the harness assuming a loose wire, re-soldered the connections, heatshrink, etc. Put harness back in, same result. About of month after that, power locks stopped working if the key was off or out of the ignition; power locks do work with key turned on accessory position. Dome light stopped working about the same time and doesn't work under any condition of key state, dome switch position, etc.

I removed the aftermarket car stereo and harness adapter and I pulled all colored fuses one at a time, verified with ohm meter all are good, put each fuse back in the same location -- for fuse box under hood and for the dash side panel. I replaced the two 10amp mini fuses in the yellow pull up located in the under hood fuse box (the original fuses tested good with ohm meter); I read enough other forums to understand these fuses control a lot of stuff, grasped for a straw -- didn't help.

All other electrical items seem to be working fine, haven't verified trunk light yet.

Ideas?

thanks.

I know you have multiple issues, and I'm only addressing one. But I'm thinking that these issues may or may not be related. What is the brand of the car stereo you had? Was it a Kenwood? It would do the same to me.

The aftermarket car stereo is a JVC KD-X50BT. I do have the original Mitsubishi stereo, was thinking about re-installing the original just in case there is some additional benefits not included in the JVC.

Mine was a Kenwood and started to restart on its own too. Thought it was wiring and all that but turned out to be a loose connection between the faceplate and the stereo. Did you check the dome light bulbs?

I put in the original Mitsubishi stereo, it works fine. The power lock and dome light issues remain. I'll try to run the JVC stereo on a workbench and see if it has other problems. Any ideas for the power lock and dome light issues?

thanks.

Follow up on the original stereo install, the memory isn't retained after the key is turned off, and the trip odometer resets as well.

I fired up the after market JVC stereo on a workbench, seems to work fine. Used the wiring harness, connected BATT, ACC, GND, and RR+, RR-. However, if I don't connect BATT, then nothing on the stereo works... so if I fix the BATT which I assume is also stereo memory, odometer, and probably dome lights, maybe everything else will be working as well?