The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 Galant Won't Start and other issues. Please help!

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

2003 Galant Won't Start and other issues. Please help!

I have a 2003 Galant and it has its issues. I live in Wisconsin and its very cold here. Yesterday my wife started the car and it ran for five minutes and it died. It would not start again. I went out an hour later and the car started and ran fine. This morning it did the same thing. Started and died about five minutes later. I tried an hour later and it started but died after five minutes. I tried to restart it but nothing. It cranks once and nothing. We replaced the battery last winter because of issues so I don't think its that and we have had the alternater tested at autozone. When the car does start it sometimes takes minutes for the guages and lights to work and when this happens the wiper blades run in slow motion even at the fastest speed. We had an aftermarket radio in the car a few years ago but it suddenly died so I put the stock back in. The radio works but it doesn't remember the memory and same with the trip odometer. They reset when the car is off. I don't know what to do. We don't have a Mitsubishi dealer in our area and no one knows what to do with it. I have checked every fuse even the ones in the yellow clip under the hood. It seems like its because its so cold but I need help!

Retest alternator and battery. Check the ground cable at the battery, where it hits the frame and where it bolts to the transmission.

It sounds like electrical if everything loses memory.

Definitely electrical... Check your grounds. I wired in extra grounds on my car. Check for resistance between the chassis and engine.

I recently replaced my alternator, it was only putting out 13 and a half volts (not terrible, but not optimal), but died soon after. Could it be the alternator, whats the voltage while the car is running? My car started doing some weird things before it went. Is the battery receiving a charge?

Thought about the key switch? (probably not your problem) Just a thought.....
    Last edited by Moose; 01-09-2015 at 09:43 AM
    03 Galant - Stock - 4cyl/auto - 185k miles

Quote Originally Posted by lavery33 View Post
    I have a 2003 Galant and it has its issues. I live in Wisconsin and its very cold here. Yesterday my wife started the car and it ran for five minutes and it died. It would not start again. I went out an hour later and the car started and ran fine. This morning it did the same thing. Started and died about five minutes later. I tried an hour later and it started but died after five minutes. I tried to restart it but nothing. It cranks once and nothing. We replaced the battery last winter because of issues so I don't think its that and we have had the alternater tested at autozone. When the car does start it sometimes takes minutes for the guages and lights to work and when this happens the wiper blades run in slow motion even at the fastest speed. We had an aftermarket radio in the car a few years ago but it suddenly died so I put the stock back in. The radio works but it doesn't remember the memory and same with the trip odometer. They reset when the car is off. I don't know what to do. We don't have a Mitsubishi dealer in our area and no one knows what to do with it. I have checked every fuse even the ones in the yellow clip under the hood. It seems like its because its so cold but I need help!
    The fact that is starts and runs but dies soon after indicated it may be the camshaft position sensor. However if the electrical is a directly related issue (if the no start and electrical problems started at the same time) then I would check your wiring. Check for water too. Check coil packs, plugs and boots, it sounds like you have a short somewhere. Take a video or describe the problem a bit more detailed.

^^^radio losing memory means lost power in the electrical side.

my first thought is a broken wire on the power side right at the battery...that would cause all of your issues and still you could also have a perfect battery and alternator...

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!