The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9G steering wheel in 8G

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

9G steering wheel in 8G

Hello,

I like the look of the 9G steering wheel, and would like to try and retrofit that into my Eurospec 8G wagon. Does anyone know if this is at all possible?

I would prefer a direct swap, and in my ideal dream world the air bag should also be functional after the operation... has anyone attempted this?

Any pointers and information would be very welcome.

Thanks!
    2003 Galant Estate Eurospec

Welcome to TheGalantCenter.

I dont know the 100% answer to you're question but my guess is that they would swap rather easily over since most mmc steering wheels swap over

p.s. Post a pic of ure ride we would love to see it :)
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

Welcome to TGC! It will physically fit on the spindle but the airbag will not be plug and play. If you want pnp, the EVO VI Momo or the 3G Eclipse steering wheels make for a nice upgrade. (Pic of later one on a 8g in my build thread.)

Thanks for your replies. :)

I know the Evo wheel will fit, it was offered on the Eurospec Galant Sport as a stock steering wheel on that trim level only, but I don't like the look of it and would prefer something nobody else over here has - hence the 9G steering wheel.

The fact it fits on the spindle is a good start - any estimate on how much work would be needed to get the airbag to work reliably? I will only need it once, but it would be good if it actually worked that one time. Oh, and how do one test an airbag to see if it works without setting it off...?

I registered here in 2007 with "csj" as my username, but for some reason that account seems to have been disabled at some point, so I'm not that new to the scene.

I'll try to get some pictures of the car up soon-ish, but I had no less than two server crashes and have lost so much data it's heartbreaking. The last one was in October 2014, and I'm still doing disk recovery on the disk array...

Yep, I'm aware of the Galant Sport having the VI wheel, but since some other mitsus had it too, that's always going to be the VI wheel to me for simplicity's sake ;)

You can probably wire up the 9g airbag, but it will not work how it is intended to period. Your system is set up for a 1 stage sw bag, while the 9g has a dual stage = it will not deploy correctly in an accident. I don't know about you, but at that point, I'd rather have a caged car with no airbags whatsoever.

Aah, gotcha. In that case I'll have to learn to like the Evo VI wheel... I really want the airbag. :)

Experienced TGC Member
    What does your stock steering wheel look like? Send some pics!!

Forgot about this thread... :p

Here's a picture of the steering wheel - not my picture nor my car, but that's what it looks like:

I want to swap to one of these three, not quite sure which:

The last one is a Lancer steering wheel, which likely won't fit without major work. Of the three, I favor the second, then the first. The second wheel is from a 2004 model while the first is from a 2011 model, so chances are the 2004 one may actually fit.